Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X1 vs d&b b2?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X1 vs d&b b2?
    Posted: 04 November 2006 at 11:09pm
Hi all!  I am looking to replace the aging w-bins inthe club i work in.  They are gauss loaded double 15s that seem to play a bit lower than typical w-bin cutoffs, but are starting to show their age.  I feed them with with up to 1200 watts/4 ohms each and use a xilica 3060 (like hte void 3in6out) to control them.  I know when to turn back the gain settings, but the wood itself is starting to separate with age.  They must be 20 years old, 3rd or fourth or... hand, and Ive had to reglue a couple panel corners.

A possible replacement idea is the X1.  The subs never mvoe, they stay corner loaded in a 45 sq meter dancefloor.  Music is primarily minimal house and techno.  it can get harder, it can softer.  I like a good snap in the chest to the point of regulating breathing, but a full bodied feel is more what i want.

At work we also have 2 D&B B2s and I am quite impressed of the damage they did in an open backed room that seats 400 for a jah coozi show.  The B2s have 2x18s and on paper play louder, but the club floor is smaller and corner loaded.

Would 4 X1s in the corners be what im looking for?  Depth is what im looking for with sufficuent pressure to rattle the entire body.  Our tops are unknown 15/2s with good drivers (i have not directly compared them to our d&b 1220s, but in comparison, the 1220s dont say much more.  I normally cross over at 80hz, but realize some of the kick power i get from the w-bins could be a ton of harmonic distortion.

The letterbox x1s look attractive from needing only one driver, being physically smaller than the w-bins, and playing nice and deep.  The tops are flown, so the sub can act asa dancing pedastel.  Reading through the subforum, it seems like a highpower driver from nearby Hannovers BMS can take good advatage of our amps.

any thoughts?  can someone tell me whether this direction makes sense?  thx.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2006 at 6:46am
X1's and B2's are very similar cabs.  If you stick two X1's on top of each other you almost get a B2!  X1 probably goes 5Hz lower looking at simuations of both.

You might find you get a hole between the subs and the tops.  Both X1's and B2's need something above them to provide some kick and punch, especially for house and techno.

Either consider two X1/one B2 and a kick bin above, or a different cab.  Something like the ES18BPH might be a good choice for your application.  They would be a good compromise between low extension and a bit of kick.  You could also still use a sub below them.

Hope this helps.

Post Reply Post Reply