Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1850s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 7:50pm
Yeah doesn't it increase the db if ran side by side aswell
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 9:28pm
I have lost the measurements but measured outside single 1850 horn loaded with V18-1000 had sort of two shelfs, it was quite flat from 55 to 70hz and then the sensitivity rose almost 10dB and the range 90 to 200hz was sort of flat with some peakiness.

Four 1850 horns with V18-1000s were actually very flat from 45 to 180hz or so, within +-3dB at least. I remember the -3dB being 43hz. This did not really change when you had four in a row or if they were stacked two wide, two high.

edit: Some rooms and buildings tend to suck the bass, make it disappear. You may get some of it back next time if you put the subs in different place.

Edited by pfly - 03 January 2013 at 9:36pm
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Requiem Requiem wrote:

1850s dont run that low, down to 45ish (says 53 hrtz on the plans!) i find with mine they dont really have much sub bass. if your looking for lots of sub bass you have the wrong bins!

+1

Dead
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 10:28pm
Apparently I'm just thin air.

I have heard it (many times) and I have measured it, -3dB @ 43hz with a stack of four. Outside, 2pi
with larger stack I'd guess the -3dB could be about 40hz and at that point I'd guess they could take some EQ boosting at 45hz or so without going bang, to make them sound fatter.

It is not scoop though.

During last year I somehow cracked it and found out how I can make them sound really properly good even to a crosspoint of 180hz. Earlier I was afraid of using LPF over 120hz.
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 10:58pm
I HPF mine at 50hz with 24 dB/octave LR and my reference mike still picks up significant output at the the low 40s.  I was going to make some low band passes to fill in the missing sub bass, but have cancelled those plans after seeing how mine sound.  Mine are loaded with Faital Pro neos and sound nice.  I have 4 and no one ever complains that there is not enough bass.  If I had a giant truck I would probably build 4 more but that would be more sound than I need for the medium sized parties I enjoy working and I would need to be doing more commercial gigs to justify the back pain.

I still tend to stack mine upright side by side in the middle, because the 2 wide and 2 tall stack is too tall to put in front of a DJ table.
jwdrain View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwdrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 6:48am
I actually think standing them upright actually does produce more bass in my limited experience. Maybe if you have 6+ boxes stacking them on their side will help them drop lower, but because usbs are the same width as invaders height, to make them look good in a stack I stacked my 4 on their sides, horns coupled up with the USBs on top. I had also read on here that doing it like that would make them drop lower. Recently though, after having tried them out upright, the results are noticeable! I still have yet to play my rig outside, so I have yet to test it all properly :( but Ill definitely for the time being stack them upright
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12