Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

reducing phase variance and phase plug design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irobot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reducing phase variance and phase plug design
    Posted: 10 November 2006 at 1:09am

have beeen reading speakerplans forums for some time, but have been waiting for inspiration for my first post.

I would like to suggest a discussion of a topic that is curretly filling my time in a big way.  I have been desining speakers for a little time now, my firat line array (i know, not a point sorce box) will be avalable commertially soon.  Like many of you i have been throught the design cycle for a horn loaded PA speaker and made a few.  How many of us have managed to design and build speakers that perform and sound like high end pro pa kit?  There is one obvious area that separates the men from the boys.  Phase!  High performance speakers are easy to design.  ones that sound good are a little more of tricky.

This year many pro audio companies made steps forward in pa sound quality by addressing and improving speakers phase accuracy.  New approches that spring to mind are turbosounds compound horn/phase plug throte sections that are now possible due to new "layer deposition" manufacturing tequniques.  and void with the stasis 3 mk2. which uses sophisticated custom made drivers to spatally separate out frequencies and treat them differently (just a quick note.  in my oppinion, the stasis3 mk2's, are the finest sounding pa speakers i have heard to date, by a reasonable distance).  Eaw's approch is a little different but also very effective.

I would love to discuss the various finer points of phase plugs, phase varience with any of you with ideas.  Is it possible to do a "scrap heap challenge" approch and compete with the big boys in terms of sound quality.  If i cant, then I stop building speakers and go and buy some stasis 3mk2's. 

Hope to hear your ideas.

irobot

tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2006 at 5:22pm
If your refering to relative acoustic phase over the audio band,from what ive read it brings'slight improvements to some people'
Some didnt notice in the tests.

HF horns are even more complex issue,which a backyard guy probably cant solve easily.

Having a nice impulse response,a tamed enclosure,low enough distortion,moderate polars,and if you read geddes,diffraction and reflections in the HF horn etc..you should have something sounding nice.
I think you can get about 90% of the performance.Problems occur,when you require testing,and flare molds done etc.

gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2006 at 7:56am
i doubt your gona beat the stasys 3 mk2's anyway, so if you can afford it just buy them! if you do manage to make something that is better then i shall be well impressed!
 Post Reply Post Reply