Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MS Audiotron Multimix & MCA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MS Audiotron Multimix & MCA
    Posted: 20 November 2012 at 10:51pm
Here's something bit more obscure.

In the days gone past there was pretty much only one serious audio and light related company in Finland, MS Audiotron. They started by building copies of EV W-Bins and such stuff, building festival systems from scratch from there it expanded a bit. They pretty much imported everything worth mentioning from instruments to light systems, had their own manufacturing, rental business, the lot.

In the 80s at the top of Welfare state with loads of City Theatres with public funding around etc. they came up with this.

I'd say it is and was a serious piece of kit. Those who know things may recognize some nice components on those PCBs too.

Our theatre's older people have very very fond memories of these things. I just happened to come across the brochure today and scanned it for everyone to enjoy.

If someone wants to take closer look, saving the images or copypasting their urls and opening them individually will show them in original size.

Edited by pfly - 20 November 2012 at 10:54pm
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2012 at 11:34pm

New to me but fascinating. Well done!

it's all just cardboard and magnets really
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 10:45am
Cool.   Thanks for posting, nice bit of woodwork.  What is a macrocomputer?
music is the message
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 11:57am
Never seen that before,thanks pfly!

Imagine trying to fix that today,all that early logic-control stuff. Wacko
Be seeing you.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Imagine trying to fix that today,all that early logic-control stuff. Wacko

I'd have a crack Ian, I love logic stuff. In fact I prefer that to PIC's, FPGA's and all that ting and ting.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2015 at 4:57pm
bump

Because the designer has said these schematics being public domain stuff, I'll paste this manual here. It is in finnish but that shouldn't matter too much. These designs have been proven over and over again and are well liked today in Finland. As far as I know they shouldn't be anything "special" though.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9726318/ms_audiotron/ms_multimix_manual.pdf
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2015 at 6:37pm
Clap  Thumbs Up

like pfly mentioned, MS audiotron pretty much started Pro Audio in Finland!

The founder Matti Sarapaltio started by building tube-based instrument and PA amps for his band when he was a teenager.

He also built his own mixers, multicore systems etc. when they simple were not available in the 60s and 70s.

There are some funny anecdotes going around about their first festival PA gigs and the bewildered visiting foreign acts, e.g. Rod Argent being blown away by Matti's DIY leslie cab - a closeby ship replied with the fog horn (he bought the leslie after the gig). LOL

someone wrote a bachelor's thesis about the company. It's in finnish, but has some interesting pictures:
http://https://www.theseus.fi/handle/10024/87790

(includes info about their EV-loaded standard touring stack from the 80s)
 Post Reply Post Reply