Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which OHM subs ??? BR or TRS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by darkraver darkraver wrote:

And no I would not put any 2,5kw on a 800 or 1000W cabinet.
Little mistake with processing and limiting and the party could be over before it has started..

Some while ago we played around with amps being tested on some 21" reflex ones. We managed to put in more than 4kw (or even 5kw, do not have details in front of me)  into a listen 1600W AES 21" woofer.
Does it make any sense.. Hell no, for that perhaps 1 db extra in my opinion is does not make any sense.

Point is, it's not a 1000W at it's latest version. 2.5k input won't kill it as long as your setup is correct. You have had badly setup system or something else wrong with. Or have you seen anyone else complaining about the same issues here? There is loads and loads of TRS users here and they haven't had any of these issues you say you had.  Obviously it raises questions why you have had these issues, also considering that even 2.5k input won't damage the drivers and won't make cabinet rattle.
scott101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 2:20pm
darkraver, Having read this thread, there are only 3 assumptions that can be made.

1. Your cabinets are damaged (dropped, crushed, water damaged, thermal shock, previous missuse).

2. You cabinets are badly modified or altered from original (or copies).

3. Despite 1000's of cabinets being made and loved by 100's of sound engineers who use them daily, they somehow don't know what they are doing/listening for but you do. 

You've already discounted 1 & 2 so that only leaves 3. You're either very unlucky or some kind of genius. 
darkraver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkraver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2012 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by scott101 scott101 wrote:

darkraver, Having read this thread, there are only 3 assumptions that can be made.

1. Your cabinets are damaged (dropped, crushed, water damaged, thermal shock, previous missuse).

2. You cabinets are badly modified or altered from original (or copies).

3. Despite 1000's of cabinets being made and loved by 100's of sound engineers who use them daily, they somehow don't know what they are doing/listening for but you do. 

You've already discounted 1 & 2 so that only leaves 3. You're either very unlucky or some kind of genius. 

1. No, but some years old :)
2. No, unless the distributor did so. 
3. There are like 10.000 so called "sound engineers" that use Dap Audio and they like their stuff as well. 
Conclusion: I just do not like the 800 and 1000W versions. 

Based on that experience I would suggest to TS not to stare blind on TRS only.

Edited by darkraver - 21 December 2012 at 9:23pm
specialjustin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specialjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2012 at 12:12am
You got some pics of the 12 trs bins you have?
chilli View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2012 at 7:44am
Seems like a lot of bins to buy if they aren't any good..
Money can't buy you happiness, but it can allow you to be miserable in comfort.
el chupacabra View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2012 at 12:42pm
and for the price of the 24 18sound drivers you might aswell have just bought a new bass section altogether..
darkraver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkraver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2012 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by specialjustin specialjustin wrote:

You got some pics of the 12 trs bins you have?

Good reading should not be that difficult Wink
As said before, I do not own them, just so now and then I have to work with them.
I have my own stuff :)

But I sure will have a pic. of some TRS218 somewhere Clap
darkraver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkraver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2012 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by el chupacabra el chupacabra wrote:

and for the price of the 24 18sound drivers you might aswell have just bought a new bass section altogether..

Indeed, not my idea.
Trying to update something in order to get a better performance is not my vision.
If I do not like something I never update :)

The 18s speakers were cheap to get and cheaper to get than the original 400W drivers.
Getting decent speakers and moderate prices is not that difficult if you have your connections.

WHAT! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WHAT! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2014 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by darkraver darkraver wrote:

Remind an XTI6000 already tears apart the rather simple stock woofers inside the 800 and 1000W versions of the TRS218. The 18NLW9600 sure is an improvement, basically just because you do not damage these woofers that easily.You can beat these drivers hard without any problems !

I know this thread is a bit older but anyway just to let you know:
One of our customers put in the same 18s drivers as he was told by 18s that "these are specially designed for the TRS-218". LOL
Needless to say: He managed to kill 4 of them in no time - interestingly using XTI(4000) amps with "original Ohm settings" for his TRS as well.
The cones looked like they had been torn apart by a tornado.
He doesn't believe that his crappy amps and wrong settings in the processor cause that kind of damage.

Compared to that I have been running TRS-218 with Matrix and PKNC amps much larger than that (running XE4000 and 6000 at the moment) and _never_ ever killed a single 18" driver in them.
But then again I've never managed to kill a 12" Ohm driver in TRS-112 or 212 and I've been running them with loads of power indeed.
5th View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2022 at 1:45pm
Does anyone know what the "S" version is on the BR218S?

Are they still a folded horn? To me "BR" means "bass reflex".

Edited by 5th - 28 December 2022 at 5:46pm
lickweed View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lickweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2022 at 2:22pm
first version of 218s were band pass cabs.
Later 218s wete the same as br218b , band pass horns
first pic is 218s older version , second pic , newer version

http://www.liquidsound.co.uk/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345