Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acquired a broken laser worth getting fixed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acquired a broken laser worth getting fixed?
    Posted: 10 January 2013 at 5:23pm
Ok so iv acquired this laser from a mate but it doesn't power on. Anyone heard of it or if its any good? Is it worth getting fixed pretty much?

In the back there's 2 fans, power socket and switch and a control to choose between music (I guess sound to light) and slow or fast there's also blank holes with no writing I'm guessing you could buy ones with dmx and serial connections for control?

Appears to be a laser visuals - scorpion

Edited by Adam_Iron_Horse - 10 January 2013 at 11:33pm
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 8:08pm
I'll get back to you with some specs, which should tell you if it's worth repairing. It'll be worth something to someone, even it if its just the case.

Where in Scotland are you? I know a couple of laser guys up there who could take a look at it for you if you aren't confident in doing it yourself.

Have you done the basics, like checked fuses?
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 8:26pm
That'd be awesome!

The laser is currently south west however I spend most of my time in Glasgow and could be easily moved there.

There are some specs hand written on the label on the back which says
Diode power 7.25mW
Wavelength 532nm
Laser class 313
Beam divergence 21.2mRad
Beam diameter 7.31mm

That's as far as I can tell its all hand written and faded looks like pencil its been written with.

Externally I used a kettle lead I knew works but haven't really tried to open it up thought is leave that to a pro also has torx (I think) screws and don't have any lying around
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 8:55pm
IS that writing really bad? Could it actually be...
Laser class: 3B
Divergence: 2.12mrad

7.31mm is really big for a laser, but maybe it's been expanded to make it safe for crowd scanning. The people who made this are the people I did my Laser Safety Officer training with, and safety is their main line of business now.
I know the case because I nearly bought some surplus off them some years ago for my first laser projects.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 8:55pm
P.S. do you have any shots of the back?
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 9:49pm
Ok, it was quicker than I thought, but here's the response form the man himself...

Quote Wow, that would be a blast from a former life. We used to supply the lasers in various forms (fully built / part built / or DIY kits. And also just the cases on their own. The ones we used to sell fully built were from about 2001-2002. After that era, the cases were supplied really only as kits, with scanners, laser, and stickers etc, or most recently, (I think about 2005-2006) just the cases on their one because people wanted them. 2003-2004 was popular with people buying kits, and was a way for people to put together their own projectors. All pre-photonlexicon days!

So after the quick history lesson. As to the unit you are asking about, I'm afraid I don't really know too much. If it has a specification label on it, there is a chance it was one I put together. Don't get too excited, the power levels back then, were usually 5mW to 30mW if someone had the best part of a £1k to spend! And that would have only been a sound-to-light "laser crab" type device. *We did sell a few kits with the Medialas Catweazle scanners on them. These would be obvious as they would have an ILDA port on the back. (or some other signal connector, if the person built it themselves). The Catweazles are poor scanners by today's standards, and are problematic if you try to use more than a 1W with them (sometimes less depending on wavelength!) due to their external optical feedback sensor.

Is it worth anything now? 10 years on, probably scrap unfortunately. ... But that is progress I suppose. And not too dissimilar to other tech. The case is probably about the most worthwhile bit on it. And there are smaller, better designs now too. Sorry...

Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 11:31pm
Ye definetly could be its not that its bad writing its more a case of its faded (hence why i thought it was pencil).

Wow that some good info there thanks alot looks like it aint worth much was kinda more wanting to see if it was worthwhile getting fixed for my own use (pretty much will it cost a lot to get fixed and will it look cool with some smoke at a free party kinda set up)

Would a picture of the back be of any use still?

I guess the only way of finding out if its economically viable to fix would be to get someone to look at it

thanks alot for that I did look at laser visuals website but didnt see anything about building/selling lasers so that'd explain it!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 12:50am
Looks similar to one I had apart a year or so ago.  I'm afraid the answer is likely to be that it won't be worth the effort to fix unless it's something really simple.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 1:28am
From what I can make out, you will need to put a new laser module and scanner set into it, as even new, it wasn't much cop.

However, he did say that the back panel didn't sound like anything he'd have written (too many decimal places on the power rating), so might be worth popping the lid off and taking a few good pics and posting them up. I can probably tell you what sort of thing is in there, and if its worth doing anything. So it's probably one of the kits he sold.

At the worst case, I can probably find a buyer for the enclosure if it turns out to be a junk job.
 Post Reply Post Reply