Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help designing a Synergy horn please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Abe The Babe Abe The Babe wrote:

I'm after geting my hands on a pc, what software would you recommend for this? I've seen a few people mentioning akabak, is it the be all and end all? or should I be looking to use it along with hornresp?

using hornresp you might get an idea of suitable drivers for the mid section but if you want to finish the design you need something like Akabak because the filters are needed to flatten the response of the HF as well as making the mid and high crossover properly. and getting the flare at the mouth right to control the dispersion is quite tricky too. if u get akabak PM me and I will send you the script I've been using.
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 11:01pm

@ steve, looks interesting. would I be better off testing with mdf or is chip ok?

I use chipboard because it is cheaper. If you have deep pockets then you could use a decent ply. The idea is that if you need to change something you are not too worried about the cost. As well as testing the design, building a prototype highlights any practical problems you might encounter in the build.
Abe The Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe The Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 2:05am
I intend on doing a good bit of testing with different methods for my own curiosity just to hear and see how big of an effect using different port shapes etc have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe The Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 2:07am
I presume the main difference is chip will resonate easier, which will show up in waterfalls so it'll be easy to know what is a limitation of the material in the tests.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe The Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 2:11am
Can I make valuable tests of the mid with just one driver or do I need to go out and get all 4? I'd like to keep cost down on testing if possible, incase the end product is crap or incase I'd be better off using a different driver etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe The Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 2:12am
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

I'm after geting my hands on a pc, what software would you recommend for this? I've seen a few people mentioning akabak, is it the be all and end all? or should I be looking to use it along with hornresp?

using hornresp you might get an idea of suitable drivers for the mid section but if you want to finish the design you need something like Akabak because the filters are needed to flatten the response of the HF as well as making the mid and high crossover properly. and getting the flare at the mouth right to control the dispersion is quite tricky too. if u get akabak PM me and I will send you the script I've been using.

Thanks
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Steve_B Steve_B wrote:

@ steve, looks interesting. would I be better off testing with mdf or is chip ok?

I use chipboard because it is cheaper. If you have deep pockets then you could use a decent ply. The idea is that if you need to change something you are not too worried about the cost. As well as testing the design, building a prototype highlights any practical problems you might encounter in the build.

I think MDF is supposed to be best acoustically. ply of the same thickness is stronger, lighter and doesn't swell up if it gets damp but it has resonances at high frequencies. I'm not sure but chipboard might be unsuitable for HF use because the rough surface might have a damping effect.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe The Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 1:54am
I've decided to start listing my assumptions for public scrutiny and what I am learning about this type of design. I've been reading loads of threads and it takes a lot of reading in different places to start to piece together the considerations that need to be made. Hopefully this thread will make it easier for anyone else who is curious (if I don't discover that I am in way above my head). Please correct me on anything I'm mistaken on. If you have anything to add or links to recommended reading please do.

What I've learned so far or assumed:

1. The advantage of situating mids lows etc along the horn is that the closer to the horn mouth the faster the flare rate. This reduces throat distortion.

2. When a driver fires into the side of the horn there will be a reflection from the comps throat (possibly off the phase plug or even the compression driver, presumably this is dependent on the size of the throat in relation to frequency) which if the distance from where the wave originated to the throat and back is more than 1/4 wavelength it will effect the frequency response due to phase, therefore a lpf should be used to filter out freq's above 1/4 wavelenght from the throat and drivers should be placed close enough to allow for a high enough cutoff.

3. Throat size can be used to create an lpf, this is useful for filtering out harmonic distortion from cone breakup.

4. The holes that provide the ports for the mf's and lf's should be in the corners where vertical walls meet horizontal walls as this creates less turbulence for the hf.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe The Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 2:01am
http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat6411718.pdf

http://www.diy-audio.narod.ru/litr/Keele_1977-05_AES_Preprint_-_LF_Horn_Design_Using_TS_Paras.pdf

volcano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote volcano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 4:41pm
I just found this intriguing use of a 6" coax speaker.
There is a bowl over the six inch, the 1" is firing straight in the horn
I am planning to use this design with a pair of 12" or 10" drivers to play flat till 150-100Hz, they have to match 2x tham15.

I'm ready to built a couple of prototypes, do measurments and tweakings,  and to post the outcomes over here.

But could some more experienced designers please get me started:

- will 1 pair of these ever keep up with a pair of tham15?
- what will be good 12" or 10" candidates?
- can this horn be achieved in a 550mm deep cabinet, 500mm width?

thanks for any input!

hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 10:34pm
http://forum.audiopsychosis.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90

"For instance, if you had one compression driver, four midranges in single reflex bandpasses, and four woofers in dual reflex bandpasses, that's basically four resonances. Now stagger those down the horn. So you'd have a tweeter resonance about 1000hz, a midrange resonance around 500hz, a woofer resonance around 250hz, and a SECOND woofer resonance around 125hz."

This bit of information is very important I think; if you want really damn good sounding horn. But yeah that's pretty difficult.

"2.) The cross sectional area where the mids/lows tap into the horn is such that the circumference is equal to or less than one wavelength of the highest frequency you want it to produce. For example, if your mids tap into the horn where the cross sectional area is 93.5 sq cm, then you would not want to have it produce anything above 1KHz."

Edited by hond - 18 February 2013 at 10:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123