Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mirrror ball motor with fly point

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mirrror ball motor with fly point
    Posted: 30 January 2013 at 3:27pm
Can anyone recomend a mirrorball motor suitable for temporary rigging ie with an eyebolt or other rigging point built in, most are designed with a drilled flange for permanently fixing to a ceiling.

Surely not everyone resorts to a slab of ply...
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 3:30pm
help to put on weight of ball you intend to hang?
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 3:36pm
Nothing massive. We have 3.6kg ones at the moment but would be good to have the facility to go bigger.
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 4:25pm
music is the message
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 6:57pm
I modify mine by fixing a bolt through the rear casing panel, to which I can attach a standard clamp or whatever. there is room inside above the motor/gearbox for an M10/M12 with a large flat washer to spread the load.

I then fix suitable bolts through the existing mounting holes in the flange to clamp it all together (on mine these holes go through the flange and the rear plate) so the weight of the rotator and ball is still carried on the same fixing points as if you'd bolted it to the ceiling.

I also drill an additional hole in the flange for fixing a safety to.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

I modify mine by fixing a bolt through the rear casing panel, to which I can attach a standard clamp or whatever. there is room inside above the motor/gearbox for an M10/M12 with a large flat washer to spread the load.

I then fix suitable bolts through the existing mounting holes in the flange to clamp it all together (on mine these holes go through the flange and the rear plate) so the weight of the rotator and ball is still carried on the same fixing points as if you'd bolted it to the ceiling.

I also drill an additional hole in the flange for fixing a safety to.

That’s basically what I've done in the past , but with a reinforcing plywood plate between the rear plate and the fixing. I was really hoping to just buy it off the shelf to A/ avoid the work, B/ get a professional looking finish and C/ get a manufacturer 'rated for temporary rigging' piece of kit (instructions of some 'heavy duty' motors state "for use in the home only"!)

It seems like a bit of a gap in the market - anybody want to start a business selling these?

Post Reply Post Reply