Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dcx to laptop lead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiscernAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 7:15pm
Or what about this wired to ethernet for the RS485 input....
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBRS485.htm

Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 7:34pm
I personally use a generic USB>RS232 adapter by farnell. I have a 4 pole XLR (to prevent accidental 3pole XLR to be inserted and have specific 4>3 pole leads) in my racks on stage and run it through a standard XLR or through the Multi down to FOH. I use pin 2,3 and 5 for this and link pin 6 and 7 on both sides of the RS232 connector.
This however only gives support for 1 DCX because accessing multiple units with the RS485 link requires a full handshake. Also this means that if i setup stage Left on one DCX, i have to save the file to my desktop, then switch XLR lead to stage Right, connect and then upload the current setting. For me however this is more than adequate.

And trust the people on here, you do NOT want to flash a DCX through a USB adapter. That is why i always keep an old Dell inspiron at hand.
Best regards,
Teun.
DiscernAudio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiscernAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 11:07pm
Like this...?

What does shorting 6 & 7 do?...

Edited by DiscernAudio - 21 October 2013 at 11:11pm
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 11:20pm
The jump is prob cts to rts which is clear to send and ready to send, let the PC send data without host intervention, hence the previous comment about lack of full hanshake and RS-485 pass through and firmware flash!!!

:)
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiscernAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 11:32pm
Ithoguht CTS to RTS would make more sense, but Tuenos said 6&7 ??
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiscernAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 11:35pm
Also, any help greatly appreciated in selecting the correct USB<>RS232 adapter.
The link below (from the FTDI chip conpany) shows them have several adapters
each seeming as if it has a different chip in it.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBRS232.htm
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2013 at 9:37am
Sorry, just checked it, the 6&7 was from memory but indeed it has to be 7&8 RTS and CTS.
Best regards,
Teun.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiscernAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2013 at 4:46pm
Thanks, I just wanted to know for future use when I begin to move my mixer away from my amp rack.
Right now, Im just going to try UB<>RS232 direct from lappy to DCX.

But still confused by the options here...
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2013 at 9:50am
Originally posted by DiscernAudio DiscernAudio wrote:

But still confused by the options here...

I have the "US232R-10 Premium USB-Serial Converter" from ftdichip.com, I used to use it with a Mac + Windows under VMWare successfully with the DCX so I imagine it would work with any PC too.

For gigs I use a dedicated old Dell PC laptop which has a serial port.

Edited by colinmono - 25 October 2013 at 9:51am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12