Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R.S.E LTD OLDIE SYSTEM INFO PLEASE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kengale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2020 at 4:14pm
Hi

I am the original designer of the RSE PA system - the cabinets had already been chosen when I joined the company but the amps, crossovers and all the acoustic bits are mine. As some have already noted, the amps were 3 off Quad 303 amps to give 100W each into 16 ohms. and the active crossover included peak-limiting compressors and differential outputs to each amp. Some members seem concerned that the grill-cloths might affect the performance of the acoustic lens on the mid/treble, but we carried out test-room performance evaluation and could see no difference. The PA's were designed especially for touring type applications and the carpet covering was an industrial-grade flooring material which proved very tough, and some systems lasted for many years hard life on the road while still looking OK. Unlike the traditional black-vinyl with chrome corners, which soon looked very tatty once they had been lugged around a few hundred road miles in a van.

We also found that vandalising was a problem with live-performance set-ups and the grill cloths helped to protect against the odd knife attack!

we also made a 100W full-range monitor, about the size of a 4-drawer file cabinet, also using Quad 303, one-off this time again with active crossover, compressors etc. This time the bass speaker was fully horn loaded rather than the hybrid front/rear-horn loading of the bigger PA's. Amongst other performances using these was a concert by John Williams (guitarist) at the Royal Albert Hall that I was at.

If you go to https://www.electroprops.co.uk/92/Cases-flightcases-technical-tool-cases/Large-period-20-channel-audio-mixer-for-touringstudio-1960s-1970s-P2079.html you will see one of our mixers - came in any multiple of 5 channels up to 25 channels. Again the emphasis on toughness and any-gear compatibility. All my design this one.

Groups using our gear included Yes, Paul McCartney and Wings, New York Dolls, Hawkwind, Hollywood, Blue, Thin Lizzie, Black Sabbath etc etc

Since then I have worked in a variety of fields (Aircraft flight computers, intrinsically safe gas detectors, electronic aids for the disabled, missile interceptors, high-speed memory systems, automatic traffic-light controllers) before settling back into audio in the form of sonar and ultrasound imaging systems, with frequencies ranging from 25Hz to 10MHz, and powers from 5W per channel (up to 256 channels at a time) to 60kW per channel. Nothing like a bit of variety!
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2020 at 6:19pm
Great to have you on board! Really neat career by the way.. friend of mine went from club engineer/maintenance to 4g/5g transmission systems but in between far less interesting choices :)

For the time of the design of the system quit some technics in the system like the crossover and such
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2020 at 2:40pm
Thank you so much for posting that, it's very interesting and helpful.

As you will have seen, there is almost no published information about these systems either on the internet or elsewhere.

A definitive first hand account from the original designer is extremely useful to have. Would you like to write up the full history of the company and add any more details you can remember?

(for my sins, I worked at Martin Audio in the 1980's...)

edited to add:

Oh, and the comments re the lenses were not about the grilles.
JBL always advised that the plates should be open at the sides for the lens effect to work at its optimum. But of course that left them vulnerable to damage, so they had to be boxed for road use. Some companies used very deep front lids that allowed the sides to be exposed when removed.

Edited by madboffin - 04 March 2020 at 2:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234