Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Esky (icebox, cooler) park system. Advice  please  :-)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Esky (icebox, cooler) park system. Advice please :-)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexxxor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2013 at 8:20am
HAHA!!

BTW, I bought a lepai tp-2020a+ off ebay. just waiting to finalise the bid on the esky. I went around to a friends place to have a look at his esky, the overall construction is very solid and surprisingly rigid. in cross section its steel + 1cm of polystyrene + 2mm thick hard plastic. my plan of attack is going to be to put a section of ply where the polystyrene would be in the front, mount the speakers into that and then see how it goes.

if the body is rigid enough to handle this, i'll use the internal structure as my box. if not, i'll build in the proper wooden box.

i doubt the lid will provide a good enough seal to work with so i'm thinking i may just glue in a piece of ply at the top with a well down the side for the battery and amp.  

overall, this project will cost about $170, and if it works as intended, i'll do a bit of an instructable or something on how to make them. either that, or sell them to hipsters for $550 a piece. :-)

btw any aussies looking at batteries i found this guy. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kew/other-electronics-computers/12v-sla-battery-7-2ah-lead-acid-volt/1015047981

We're making him an offer on 5. hopefully we can get a good deal out of it!! 
alexxxor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexxxor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 8:51am
Just a quick update:

I've got two 7.2ah batteries, a lepai ta2020 amp, a suitable esky (the one from my original post. who would have thunk it!). 

a p audio hp-10w and a piezo tweeter are on their way, all that's left is a solar charge controller (for battery management) and some wood for the internals (got hard rubbish coming up in my suburb soon, so i'll try and reclaim some)

Can't wait to get into the build!

Thanks everyone for your input and advice. I'll document the build as best I can and keep you updated on the progress!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12