Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Punisher coms in handy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volcano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Punisher coms in handy?
    Posted: 22 October 2004 at 4:34pm

I'm interested in building the Punisher horns http://www.speakerstore.nl/index.php?show=tekening&const ructieID=21&sel_lang=nl as they can sit nicely on top of the X1 bandpass and they can play pretty good on there own for smaller setups.

But i'm wondering about some things.

If I want to put the Punisher on the X1, I have to put the X1 on his side. I've heard that this isn't ideal, but IS there a big difference (I can't figure out why) as anyone tried this?

second, are these two boxes a good match? Play they well thogether? (xover at 65 and 200)

Is it possible 3 punishers sound better than 1 X1 and 1 punnisher (I play indoors, reggae, salsa, dub)...

I prefer using the punisher instead of the HD 15 becouse it is a more versitale speaker, they say. (you can play with one aside, witch is nice for a little setup)

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2004 at 4:48pm
I thought the X1 was supposed to play on it's side.. i.e. both ports next to the floor
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2004 at 4:49pm
Yes, beat me to it norty303.  That's exactly what Rog said.
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2004 at 5:59pm

One punisher a side? that isnt much! do they reccomend this usage?!

Theres no magic involved-just different compromises taken...

mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2004 at 6:10pm
The Punisher was designed to use it with one per side. It will give 130 dB from 50 Hz and up.
volcano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volcano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2004 at 7:53pm

Theres no magic involved-just different compromises taken...

The desingers indeed reccomend one punisher a side. mike, can you explain your comments please. What do you think that has no magic involved? What can go wrong using only one a side? (this question is also to mobiele eenheid and Contour of course) What makes the punisher different from other desings? (ie it doesn't need stacking)

about the X1, indeed, it has to be on his side I was reading the old posts a bit quick i think

staiper said  back then:

Quote It is designed to stay on side .. so both ports must be by the floor.. anything else will affect the sound (in bad way).

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2004 at 8:13pm
Horns are always more fun when stacked, but longer horns can be used in singles with a little eq and some precautionary measures. The LAB has shown mechanical failiure of the driver when pushed hard without a high-pass filter, especially in smaller stacks where there is a fair helping of eq. The Ciare driver has a mechanical limit quite soon after its Xmax, so proper limiting is a must if you intend on playing music with significant LF (dub for instance). Another thing to be aware of, is that the access lid needs to be air-tight in a horn, otherwise the speaker can exceed limits quite easily.

Otherwize the Punisher looks to be an extremely versative cab with a very usable power bandwidth to band. I have been browzing JH Licht en Geluid's forum of late and must say that there are some interresting things brewing in that corner of the world.

Martin
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2004 at 8:23pm
Oh yeah, lifting a horn significantly off the floor (like putting in on top of a X1) further limits the extention of the horn whilst increasing ripple (similar effect of halving the mouth area). A double stack of punishers will be better than a stack of X1/Punisher when you play music that doesn't have significant output around 30-45Hz. However the X1 will come in handy for dub and when properly set up should be well worth the effort (others might share their experiences). Choose your poison (i.e. priorities): higher output with less LF extention or less output and more extention.

Martin
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2004 at 10:18pm

Well I designed te Punisher so this is what I think:

One Punisher gives you 130dB at 50Hz - 133dB at 100Hz with 1500W input power, the Caire driver can handle this, we tested it with 1700W.

Three Punishers at 4500W will give 139dB at 50Hz - 142dB at 100Hz according to the simulations. A stack of three should be flat down to 45Hz so that would be good enough foor most music.

I think one X-1 together with 2 Punishers on top will be a nice system! Perhaps you could the X-1 let do only 30-50Hz...

Best regards,

Walt

tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2004 at 11:10pm

Hi walt-

Oh definately I agree with you-I was just being sure that this horn was intended for operation as one a side!

Cheers!

Mike.e

Post Reply Post Reply