Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intrusive Android Apps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intrusive Android Apps
    Posted: 24 March 2013 at 2:35pm
Just perusing for few apps, found what I want, but install warned 9/10 of the Apps wanted,

1) permission to take pictures/transmit what camera is seeing,
2) Full access to Internet,
3) Full access to personal details & email,
4) Full access to gps positioning data, even though activity not connected to app function at all,

Needless to say, none of them installed.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2013 at 2:43pm
not really surprising; only thing they would still need is full Wi-Fi scanning + access to then replace all of the things done by the street cars..... indoors as well with phones!

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2013 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Just perusing for few apps, found what I want, but install warned 9/10 of the Apps wanted,

1) permission to take pictures/transmit what camera is seeing,
2) Full access to Internet,
3) Full access to personal details & email,
4) Full access to gps positioning data, even though activity not connected to app function at all,

Needless to say, none of them installed.

If those types of data actually ARE trnsmitted .... thats WELL scary. Can you get Android to log all those transmissions ?

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2013 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

If those types of data actually ARE trnsmitted .... thats WELL scary. Can you get Android to log all those transmissions ?

I can go one better.

Not install the apps, and not have to worry about it. Embarrassed
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2013 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

I can go one better.

Not install the apps, and not have to worry about it. Embarrassed

My thought's too, I got an update you facebook thing the other day and about the only thicg it didn't want access to was my sex life (or lack of) so I just deleted it. everything is about data these days.

I went on to some of those insurance compare sites last week and despite my checking the boxes for 3rd party stuff I've had 132 spam mails about insurance claims and a host of other rubbish I'm not interested in since.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2013 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by colint colint wrote:

[ everything is about data these days.

Yup. You know the way large corporate farms treat cattle - as in each animal is monitored, assessed, analysed for milk yield, bodily functions and stuff ? .... Well thats how corporations treat us too ....
We are nothing but marketing targets. We are being FARMED !!

Edited by slaz - 24 March 2013 at 4:04pm
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2013 at 4:11pm

Originally posted by colint colint wrote:

[ everything is about data these days.

Yup. You know the way large corporate farms treat cattle - as in each animal is monitored, assessed, analysed for milk yield, bodily functions and stuff ? .... Well thats how corporations treat us too ....
We are nothing but marketing targets. We are being FARMED !!

Moooo!
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2013 at 4:38pm
This is more of a problem with the way Google classify certain perfectly normal non-dubious activity. The categories they offer are far, far too broad and vague so developers have little choice but to appear to want access to anything and everything.

Of course, if apps ran in a locked down sandbox and had to ask for explicit permission to access certain things like photos the first time they actually needed it, like on iOS, it would be less of a problem.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2013 at 9:38am
Also if you get a free app, don't be surprised when you're the product I guess. I just assume any given app will be bad wrt. privacy until proven otherwise.
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2013 at 9:52am
If you get your food and drinkt for free. You are probaly not the customer but the product being sold!
 Post Reply Post Reply