Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Tow - Power Supply

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steppingraz0r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Tow - Power Supply
    Posted: 25 March 2013 at 9:05am
greetings speakerplans, 

i am longer active here but never register yet.
i was building 2 superscooper in 2010 from the plans here. 
till yet everything was fine, this weekend we play on the mountain at a freestyle ski and snowboard contest. the organisation team told me we will get the power supply from a ski tow station (i dont know if its the right word) 

well i am just afraid of the peaks provided if the lift have to stop and start again.
somebody have an advice how to take out the peaks? 
i am just a little bit afraid my cone get damaged or the amp (using void infinte 8 with v18-1000) 

can i use a UPS used for computers and stuff? to buffer the peaks by the battery? 

thanks in advance. 
shizzle soundsystem
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2013 at 9:56am
They use batteries to power the ski lift? If so, what sort of inverters have they got? A modified sine wave might effect some of your gear, but should be ok with the infinite 8 (it has a nice big transformer on it, no?).

Edited by Earplug - 25 March 2013 at 9:57am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
steppingraz0r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steppingraz0r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2013 at 11:31am
no they dont use batteries to power the lift, they have power there just when the lift switches on or off there will be a peak (saw it on a bigger lift already when switching on -  it cut a power of a whole hotel) 

thats why i ask for some gear which i can plug before to take out the peak, like a ups battery or something. 
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2013 at 1:28pm
You would need an "online" UPS, which rectifies the mains to DC, charges batteries and at the same time re-synthesises a clean sine wave for the output, regardless of what the input is doing. If the mains drops out or peaks this will not be transmitted to the output. A normal offline UPS may still have some disturbance on its output if presented with a short duration peak or dropout as it has to switch over to battery operation and back. Also be aware of "single use" surge protectors which are effectively useless after absorbing one surge.
Don't ski lifts run more or less continuously though? You could just make sure to unplug your gear when they start it up in the morning and shut it down at night?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2013 at 1:30pm
What about just using a generator? Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
J.S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2013 at 1:59pm
Get something like this: EMI FIlter in your power cable path and stop worrying :)

Edited by J.S. - 30 March 2013 at 2:02pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 2:13pm
A filter won´t help if the power keeps cutting out. UPS or generator.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 2:24pm
I should imagine that the power supply running the lift will be very stiff as the starting/ stall currents will be very high. All modern lift systems also have a ramped or slow start, so I should imagine that the supply is fairly stable and unlikely t cause any issues.

Companies like dopplemayr don't mess around!
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
cilla.scope View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Legs all the way to her bottom....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 11:53pm
What CSG said, they don't just bang the motor in DOL (direct on line) but will have a fairly monstrous SCR drive to ramp it in slowly,  combined with an incoming supply as thick as your leg.

Don't swaet it dude, that supply will be fine.
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker.
Well, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet ...
brad82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brad82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2013 at 12:20am
Hi All,

I've lurked on this forum for a while now and this thread caught my eye so I thought id put in my thoughts...

I worked as a lift mechanic back when I was a ski bum, and I wouldn't hesitate to run a decent sized rig off the lift's supply, assuming its a decent sized drag lift, not a small handle-tow. I'd personally ensure that there is some sort of surge protection in line with your kit, as some of the older lifts focused on more of "comfortable start for the riders" rather than comfortable for the grid and can dirty the supply, although I wouldn't be worried if the lift is newer than 1990ish.

I wouldn't bother with a UPS, the supply to the lift will be more than enough to run the lift twice over, a filter like J.S suggested should do.

Source: I did the same thing at a ski resort at France a few years ago on a terrain park drag lift... Getting all nostalgic! Doppelmayr weren't too happy when we'd wired a 32A ceeform plug to their pristine German Siemens high voltage cabs, but after lots of wiring diagram checking they signed off the inspection form and although I'm ashamed to say it, the Peavey kit stood up to many stop starts and rocked out for the 2 day event.

Best of luck Smile
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2013 at 1:44am
As above, inverter based soft start, supplies of doom, you will be fine.

Make VERY sure you don't shut your amps down once you power them up as warm amps cooling will pull moisture in and maybe pop RCDs...

You will most prob be given 32A 3PNE as apposed 63A single so make sure you are rigged for 3 phase!
 Post Reply Post Reply