Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

was there a double Martin 115 once?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: was there a double Martin 115 once?
    Posted: 05 April 2013 at 7:57am
About fifteen years ago, when our shed was still full of old gear (old JBL stack, double scoop with slant plates and so on...sold now..the horror..) we also had 4 double 115's; two stacked on top of eachother with supposed to be loaded with 2 15" . they build quality was martin like, just as the details. they came unloaded out of a club which used them as dance stages since around 1988. 

unluckily no pics survive, and we gave them away to make space in the shed. they were hard to move with 2 and they gave way for lots of martin 218 scans, we are more into lighting now. they were painted deep blue, no traces of black paint. 

I can't find anything on the net about them. does anybody know them? 
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 8:22am
Yes there was I had four of them, two were loaded with JBL's E140's and two were loaded with Gauss 4583a's and your right they were ta total bitch to move about despite the castors and they wouldn't fit through most standard doorways,
Sounded good though.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 8:50am
Yes, there was an earlier version of the '215' Martin Bass Bin.

The well known 115 came from Dave Martin re-designing these 2 x 15 Bins into two because of the access problems as mentioned above when getting in/out of various venues.

Remember seeing them at Dave's place in Covent Garden together with some of the first 115's in the early '70's

Mik

Edited by audiomik - 05 April 2013 at 8:51am
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 10:04am
The actual 2x15 was the first and is the cab that was drawn up for copyright. These cabs were made by the the firm I bought in '78 which had been making the 2x15's. Bob Wates who was my Jig and Pattern maker was responsible for building the first single.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 10:14am
First time I remember seeing the 115 was with Bob Marley in 1973 when we booked him for our Rag Ball at North Staffs Poly as support for Roy Woods Wizard (who used an RSD PA). The 215 had been around for a couple of years before this - it was Dave Martin's first big entry into the world of PA - and Pink Floyd used them from 1973 onwards (they weren't bothered by their size due to the venues they were playing - rumour has it that the roadie tasked with setting up their early quad system could lift a 215 bin on his back and carry it up stairs). The 215 was also used in the Rank Sundown clubs (Edmonton, Brixton & Charing Cross Road - which I used to frequent) - the' 40 years of Martin' mentions how this was a seminal installation for Martin.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 10:51am
The actual copyright date for the cab is, if my memory serves me well, is 6th July 1971.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 11:25am
This has been posted before,but is the only photo of them i could find....Martin 215 (mk1) as used by Pink Floyd in 1973.

Be seeing you.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2013 at 10:08pm
As has been said, the 215 (later known as the 215 Mk1) was the original Martin bass bin. As far as I know this was also the first product to be sold by the company, in 1971.  As Tony mentioned, Dave Martin filed it as a "Registered Design" with the Patent Office and the cabinet work was contracted to Heathpoint.

The ones used in the Sundown systems were a bit unusual. One side (actually the bottom, in normal use) of the cabinet was cut  to expose the rear chamber and the box was fitted on top of a special rectangular plinth with a matching cutout and a port in the front. This effectively provided a large rear chamber tuned as a Helmholz resonator to extend the low frequency response.

I recall somebody once told me that they had come across a 215 bin that "some idiot had cut a triangular hole in the side of, why on earth would anyone do that? " and was amused to hear the true explanation.

The Sundowner's hybrid "rear ported & front horn loaded" technique was quite a common one - it wasn't only used with short horn bins like the 4560. The Vitavox version of the RCA bin, and Court Black Box LF were typical examples.  Martin RS800, VRS800 and VRS1000, had something similar. Several of the company's current products also use this and their marketing blurb makes much of it...

Edited by madboffin - 06 April 2013 at 11:57am
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 8:14am
Thanx, but now i really feel bad for clearing the space..we had some iconic gear but let them go.. I do hope they survived and still are damaging doorposts somewhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply