Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RS232-usb ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crystal.a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS232-usb ?
    Posted: 09 April 2013 at 4:51pm
i'm trying to use an rs232 - usb adapter cable with my ultradrive but i cant work out?
1. which of my usb's will be COM 3 port
2. it says the COM port is in loop mode and wont connect

what am i doing wrong??
hell is just a word, the reality is much much worse!
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2013 at 5:17pm
This whole thing is a nighmare.

no USB port will corespond directly to a COM port (due to hubs etc) you have to plug the thing in and look in device manger to see what port it has landed on.

Be very aware most USB <> RS232 units don't have proper flow control so if you try a firmware flash you can brick an ultra drive.

My best advoice is to buy a Toshiba Tecra/Dell Latittude/IBM Thinkpad (like £50 off the 'bay) with the correct connection and use it for gigging....
crystal.a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crystal.a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2013 at 7:02pm
nice one mate got it sorted, i reinstalled the driver for the cable and then had to change that to PORT 3 in device manager as it had been assigned PORT 12 this is all on my old laptop so no problems with the ports being reassigned! 
Thanks for the heads up about firmware flashes don't think i need to do mine as its version 1.16 which cant be updated any further anyway as far as i can tell.

Cheers
hell is just a word, the reality is much much worse!
 Post Reply Post Reply