Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - P.Audio sweetspots in a 1" Exit compression driver
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P.Audio sweetspots in a 1" Exit compression driver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P.Audio sweetspots in a 1" Exit compression driver
    Posted: 16 December 2006 at 7:14am
Right, so it turns out not all P.Audio drivers are all that good and some are downright beastly to work with.

Recently used the WN-D44 compression drivers for a HT install with CD horns machined from solid Maple and it turns out the WN-D44 is completely horrid  with a 4.5dB power response dip around 3k5 and multiple resonances starting at 5kHz onwards(yes) (behaviour replicated on numerous CD horns) though it's alright once you bend it with a PEQ though the passive EQ would buy you a B&C driver)

The BM-D440/450 seem much better compared to these. Is the SN-D44 worth anything? Anything in the SD and PA-series (the PA-DE34 is OK if you're crossing 2k5 and above, but not what I'd call great) that is good?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2006 at 7:36am
I've tried the SN-D44 (have a pair) but not done any extensive testing.  Seem to sound ok although the flare I've got isn't anything special.  Wasn't a big let down replacing the B&C's with them tho.

Nice to see you back on the forum Martin!
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2006 at 8:12am
Yeah, been really, really busy and sans transport since my car was stolen.

Here a pic of the horns in question to give you an idea as to what I've been up to lately.

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2006 at 8:34am
Some data...P.Audio got this driver way wrong...perhaps it was intended to have ferrofluid and I've even considdered modding it with some, though the stuff is just not available here.

Edited by Timber_MG - 16 December 2006 at 8:37am
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2006 at 11:16am
Doesn't look very nice at all....  Think I'll stick with my DE25's!  Still haven't built the cabs for them!
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2006 at 5:24am
I'm sorry to see this..

I have some WN-D44 but I haven't had the chance to test them yet.

I sincerely hope P-audio screwed something up when they made your batch, because this should really not be happening.

on tuesday I will test my new midtops loaded with WN-D72 on the top end, and I hope they sound good..

will try and plot a graph on my batch of d44 drivers when I get the chance
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2006 at 8:27am
The response curve you see is neatly matched with the power repsonse of the driver from about 1k4 so it is not a weird horn. Other drivers fare much betterand the good ones look like they have been over-smoothed.

I have considdered replacing with the PA-D25 for this install as it is home use until the local supplier gets in BM-D440S.

I would really appreciate a plot of the WN-D44 on the PH-220. I will post data here if you want to compare, but the behaviour should be similar to that of this horn.
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 5:24am
Timber _MG

do you have the 8 ohm or 16 ohm version?
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 6:47am
I don't see why the 16 ohm should be different but the impedance is shown in the impedance plot @ 8Ohm.
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 6:51am
Different appart from the higher impedance and lower sensitivity of course.

Martin
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 7:09am
P Audio make a lot of products, probably more than anyone else.

When they get it right it works and we are all happy. When they don't it usually works quite bad.

There's a few gems in the range but I can't say that its all good. Its a brand where you stick to what you know works, like the BMD 450 or you have to try a lot of things to see whats what.

Rog.

Post Reply Post Reply