Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pd 184

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pd 184
    Posted: 26 December 2006 at 4:02am
look i have used the search ! So please dont shout at me...

But has anyone used the 184 in a scoop and can tell me something! Like do they work in them ....how do they sound? and zo on
Maybe they have something to say just by looking at the paramiters!

big up
andy
hikk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 7:11am
So i guess then no one tried them? Shame i think they would work well!
Matthias View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2006 at 7:43am
yes hikk, i think they would work well too. the bl of 23 is ok, qts is 0,23 vas 423 and a low resonance of 27hz. but xmax is only 8mm. for this price anyone should give him a try!

i think its not the most powerfull but the mms of 123g idicates a nice warm sounding bass, a musical driver!

Edited by Matthias - 28 December 2006 at 7:49am
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2006 at 7:30pm
That 8mm excursion sounds a bit worrying. Might find it insufficient to hit the lower notes at a decent power level without damaging the drivers?
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2006 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by jethrocker jethrocker wrote:

That 8mm excursion sounds a bit worrying. Might find it insufficient to hit the lower notes at a decent power level without damaging the drivers?

Remember 8mm is the xmax. The Xmech will be a much larger figure. Exceed the Xmech you damage the driver. Exceed the xmax it just sounds muddy and distorted, but no damage.

hikk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2006 at 1:52am
Ok im in no position to argue xmax! Not even sure that i understand it to its full ,however  eminece omega has an xmax of about 4.5 and Fane colosus has one of 7.2 both of which are proven scoop drivers! Well people seem to be happy with them.... Pd 186 has an xmax of 9 also a happy scoop driver ........ will that 1mm be audioable? dont know!

Alot of reggae sound men like that over exurted sound so perhaps a low xmax is the order of the day lol lol [joke!]

@ Jeth you run 1850? right? asking this from memory but i saw a photo of your stack ! [nice] Those scoops that lie ontop of the vertical standing scoops are they on the same frequency as the ones they lie on ??? No! any problems with comb filtering and the rest?? please serious question !
respect andy

Edited by hikk - 30 December 2006 at 1:54am
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2006 at 10:10pm
Most of the time the 18" supers are just running the bottom end, though we have had nto use them on upper bass a few times to replace the ropy 15" scoops we had in that range.. For now, until I can get back and build, its been run 3 way I think.

The 18 scoopers sounded surprisingly good on upper bass, plenty of kick, as long as they weren't playing too high, up to about 160Hz i think.

Running them all on bass comb filtering wouldn't be a problem as at such long wavelengths (and with bass frequencies being omni-directional) the drivers are close enough together to approximate one source.

Matthias View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2006 at 9:13am
i think its not a brutal driver its more for the warm and smooth sounds not a spl monster. last weekend i was on a abbassi hi powa dance, perch had 12 scoops loaded with old 600w pd186 which were really nice! 2x6 Stacks, deep bassline down to 35hz i think but 6 pd186 in a ( i think...dont know) tubbys design did not shake me like my 4x super scooper void loaded. i think you would need nearly the double amount of drivers of the pd184 to get a spl like 4 pd1850. For me there is a big difference between 186 and void/1850. But the 186 sound better than the others. so there must be a difference between the 184 and the 186 too.
hikk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2006 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by jethrocker jethrocker wrote:

Running them all on bass comb filtering wouldn't be a problem as at such long wavelengths (and with bass frequencies being omni-directional) the drivers are close enough together to approximate one source.

Sorry excuse my ignorance but which frequency isnt OMNI DIRECTIONAL!?

I have been led to believe that using the same design of cab for two different frequencies was a recipy for disaster!

At the mo i a have 6 cabs the same but only have 4 loaded properly wanted to put two under the four on a different frequecy ..From what youve done ,it doesnt have to be a problem? or not ? ok at the end of the day i will try it out......
hikk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2006 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Matthias Matthias wrote:

i think its not a brutal driver its more for the warm and smooth sounds not a spl monster. last weekend i was on a abbassi hi powa dance, perch had 12 scoops loaded with old 600w pd186 which were really nice! 2x6 Stacks, deep bassline down to 35hz i think but 6 pd186 in a ( i think...dont know) tubbys design did not shake me like my 4x super scooper void loaded. i think you would need nearly the double amount of drivers of the pd184 to get a spl like 4 pd1850. For me there is a big difference between 186 and void/1850. But the 186 sound better than the others. so there must be a difference between the 184 and the 186 too.
When things and times permit i have the feeling i would like to try them out..Hey but that could be expencieve finding out they are not powerfull enough or sound rank!!

PD 1850 is twice as much dosh so in theorie it should be twice as good so then double the amount of a 184 would sound fair..

For some reason sound quality interests me more than a big bang !! Something combining the two i would be happy with! Well would i ??? grass is always greener on the other side!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2006 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by hikk hikk wrote:

Sorry excuse my ignorance but which frequency isnt OMNI DIRECTIONAL!?

Sound gets more directional with increasing frequency. Bass is ominidirectional up to about 200Hz (as far as I can tell, there seems to be some debate at over the frequency below which you can treat it as such)
You can hear this quite easily by walking around to the side of a stack..the tops get a lot quieter while the bass seems to remain constant.

I have been led to believe that using the same design of cab for two different frequencies was a recipy for disaster!

Do you mean using different cab designs for the same frequency? This is a problem due to different response and phase performance of the different cabs causing cancellations etc when they're reproducing the same signal. 
Same cab on two different frequencies could work if the cab was capable of covering both ranges adequately, though it makes more sense to use cabs in each range that are optimised for the required frequencies.

At the mo i a have 6 cabs the same but only have 4 loaded properly wanted to put two under the four on a different frequecy ..From what youve done ,it doesnt have to be a problem? or not ? ok at the end of the day i will try it out......

See above, no problem, though you could probably find something more efficient to use for just the sub say, or just the kick, rather than same cab on both.
 Post Reply Post Reply