Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD 15 Curve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD 15 Curve
    Posted: 13 August 2013 at 5:02pm
Has anyone made a hd 15 with a curve?
I have managed to by laminating ply up with the correct curve.
But as there is a lot of grain in vertical direction not curved strength over time may be an issue. Just wondering what others have done
I'm contemplating fitting a layer of fiber glass between lamination or making the entire curve out of GRP not sure on the amount of flex that would be present. Any ideas?
nuclearbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 5:52pm
had mine for about 3 years now, and they were "well used" when i bought them..

The curves fine
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 6:00pm
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 7:05pm
  Here are my efforts;

photo 005_zps6913ad15.jpg

I built those about five years ago and they've seen plenty of action since (the picture was taken recently) and the curves are absolutely rock solid, I think the trick is to use plenty of glue between the laminates and plenty of clamps whilst it dries so they hold together solidly, also, remember, even though you're layering up the thinner pieces of ply with the grains all running in one direction there are still going to be laminates within those layers running in other directions to give you strength, not to mention curved shapes tend to be naturally strong anyway. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply