Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X12 project. tips and advice please?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CritikalMass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X12 project. tips and advice please?
    Posted: 30 August 2013 at 10:48am
Hello!

I am shortly going to begin this build and I just wanted to confirm a few things with the pros.

After some searching I have arrived on the Fane Sovereign pro 12-300 as the specs are good for the price they are at the moment.

My max budget for the project is around 400 but can stretch if need be to 500/550.

I have a pair of these sound lab compression drivers laying around doing nothing. Could I make use of them in these cabs or are they a waste ?

Also if they are redundant, what would be an on budget option for high freq driver and horn mounting solution to run above the Fanes?

I intend to run a pair of these over 2 folded horns (186 loaded with p audio challenger 650) and 2 es-18's for use with hard electric music for indoor and outdoor events ranging up to 400 guests.

I need to cover a freq range from 180/200hz to 18.5/20khz as this is where the system most lacks integrity at this time.

any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated, if you require more information about the project to help please comment and I shall try my best to answer quickly and coherently.

R.
CritikalMass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CritikalMass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2013 at 4:46pm
To add to this, any idea which Passive crossover I could use?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2013 at 8:58pm
For compression drivers, check these out:

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAUSD44BF_2PK&browsemode=category

If you have JAM club membership, that's under £64 for a pair.  I've tried them myself and I can't think of any better compression drivers at anywhere near that price.  Look at some PH-220 horns to go with them too.

You will struggle with passive crossovers because you'll need a 4Ohm low section and 8Ohm high section.  Would be simpler to go for an active crossover if at all possible.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CritikalMass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2013 at 10:18pm
Cheers, we use a berry dcx2496 as crossover, could that be used?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2013 at 10:53pm
DCX will be absolutely fine running this in 3 way stereo.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CritikalMass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2013 at 11:17am
Forgive the noobie question but how would I go about plugging this all in? Just a quick breakdown so I know what I got to put on the shopping list
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2013 at 1:11pm
In very brief terms you will need:

DCX2496 with each output going to a different amplifier channels (you'll need 3 amps).  2 sub outputs (186 horns), 2 midrange (12" drivers), 2 HF (1" compression drivers).

In terms of wiring the X12's the normal practice is to use a 4 pole Speakon and wire both 12" drivers to pins 1+/1- and the HF driver onto pins 2+/2-.  Then run a 4 core speaker cable back to the amp rack where you split it out.  Some amps output both channels on one Speakon so you can run mids on channel 1, HF on channel 2 and come straight out of the amp.  In this case you'd use one amp for left mid-tops, one for right mid-tops rather than one for mids and one for HF.

In terms of crossover points, a good starting point would be about 100Hz for 186 to X12 but you can vary this quite a lot to taste.  12" to 1" will need to be about 2kHz.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CritikalMass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2013 at 11:42pm
Thanks a lot, when you say split do you mean split the four core cable into two, 2 core cables and plug one into each channel on the amp? I could use two channels from the DCX to send individual signals to the channels. Thanks for your help this is the last thing I need clearing up.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2013 at 11:52pm
Yup, I think you've got it. Either split the 4 core cable to plug each pair of wires into seperate amplifier channels, or as I said use an amp that already outputs both channels on one Speakon. 

Rather than physically splitting the end of the cable, it's more normal to use a patch panel on the amp rack which combines a 2-core cable from each amp channel onto one NL4 socket.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CritikalMass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2013 at 12:25am
Ok cheers ill get to work on a final list and get down the lumber yard. Thanks again for your input, I will upload a series of pictures of the build once it's completed!
 Post Reply Post Reply