Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12mm HD215

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12mm HD215
    Posted: 09 September 2013 at 8:07pm
Hi

Im about to make my next built and i want to make it as light as possible! I have tried to search the forum to get an answer, but no luck.

Have anyone tried to build to HD215 with 12mm ply or is it simply too thin for this type of cab?

Thanks
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2013 at 8:35pm
Too thin! You'd need so much bracing that you'd probably end up the same weight as if you'd just used 18mm to start with.
Why not just make two single HD15's out of 18mm instead?
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
ape3435 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ape3435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2013 at 9:09pm
Or use 18mm spruce which is much lighter than birch. Did a hd15 once with 12mm birch but used 18mm spruce for the back and 5 part flare, then 18mm birch for the baffle, oh, the HD also had a hi mid and compression driver built on top and I can lift a cab easy enough (neodymium loaded).
Nugie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2013 at 10:09pm
Good point djeddie, but in this case the 'issue' is the total weight of the cabs. They need to be transported in various locations where cars cant go. Loaded in the back of a buggy which have weight limitations. So every kg count (:

Ape, do you have a photo of that cab you're talking about? It sounds interesting.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2013 at 10:58pm
If you're talking about loading them in the back of a buggy, are you sure HD15 is the way forward? The HD15 don't really drop below 90Hz so are pure kick only, no sub at all.
Best regards,
Teun.
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 12:51am
HDs drop to 55-60Hz in multiples, i dunno why people use them for upper bass cabs, 50-50Hz to 130Hz is the range they do best.  12mm birch would be fine if you double braced them throughout, would save some weight for sure and probably be less resonant than the original plan. 
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
ape3435 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ape3435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 7:56am
Originally posted by Nugie Nugie wrote:

Good point djeddie, but in this case the 'issue' is the total weight of the cabs. They need to be transported in various locations where cars cant go. Loaded in the back of a buggy which have weight limitations. So every kg count (:

Ape, do you have a photo of that cab you're talking about? It sounds interesting.

Haven't at the moment but could probably put a pic or two up tomorrow. Nice light weight cabs they are.
Nugie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2013 at 10:17pm
Been busy at work so nothing have happened yet.

So...
I came across another kick bin (Bootybass, davey t) the other day and thought it looked interesting. The cab is smaller and use a lightweight driver (fane sov 15-400/600lf). Have anyone tested these two cabs up against each other to see which on performs the best?

I plan to make 4 hd215/bootybass which will be split up in two stacks. The cabs will mainly be used outside and will be playing as standalone bass/kick cabs!
 Post Reply Post Reply