Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any 12" Scoops on Here?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any 12" Scoops on Here?
    Posted: 19 September 2013 at 12:37am
I plan on building 4 X Emerald subs loaded with PD 1850's, 35Hz- 75Hz then on top 2 X single loaded 12" Scoops from say 70Hz- 300-400Hz? Any suggestions this will be for a larger system I plan on building in the near future. Probably build some MT130 double loaded with 10" FaitalPro 10PR300.Shocked

Thanks!
BASS, how low can you go!
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 1:13am
Eminence scoop has a 12 version. I don't know how well it will suit your needs and I am sure the 18 is the best of the size variations, but it does have 12 inch dimensions provided.
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 1:14am
http://www.dancetech.com/file-library/document/scoop_12_15_18.pdf

Edited by b grade - 19 September 2013 at 1:15am
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 6:17am
Dont build 12" scoops to go on top of 18" scoops. You would be much better off using a small voice coil & lightweight 15" cone in a reflex box to get from 75 upto 400hz. bear in mind thats more than 2 octaves your trying to cover and is pretty high to be crossing from a kick/upper bass box to a mid.

Scoops only real use is low sub notes due to their long horn length. When I started in sound we had a pair of 12" scoops and they did a surprisingly good job on sub under a pair of HD-15's.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
T-Bone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 8:07pm
fat_bstrd the Emeralds are half Bertha folded horn subs, will be loading them with PD1850's I have in original box. I know Mykey has modified version if he can chime in and share his plans would be great!!!Wink

Thanks!
BASS, how low can you go!
Ras Loud View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ras Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2013 at 2:11am
Someone on here wrote a while ago about his attempt to build 12" scoops and did not like the result, because the horn did not work that well anymore in a smaller size. There seems to be more maths in scoop horn paths than just scaling up and down.

wilmslow-audio.co.uk have some kits on their website to build 12" rear loaded horns, actually scoops where the horn paths isn't round but quite angular.

These are intended for home use though. In a soundsystem I wouldn't use anything else than reflex or usual horns on top of scoops.
RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2013 at 2:22am
Originally posted by Ras Loud Ras Loud wrote:

Someone on here wrote a while ago about his attempt to build 12" scoops and did not like the result, because the horn did not work that well anymore in a smaller size. There seems to be more maths in scoop horn paths than just scaling up and down.

"The phase at the rear of the speaker is shifted by pi which corresponds to 1/2 wavelength.

At the frequency where the horns length is 1/2 wavelength the total shift is 2 pi or 1/1 wavelength, which is zero under steady state conditions.

Down to the frequency where the horns length is 1/4 wavelength and up to the frequency where the horns length is 3/4 wavelength the sound from the speakers front and from the horns mouth will add to each other, below and above they will subtract from each other."

Therefore if one runs a scoop with 7' horn (2.15m) - 160Hz , the good stuff is between 40hz (1/4 WL) and 120Hz (3/4 WL).
If running a longer 8' horn (2.44m) - 141Hz, the "pass band" is 35hz to 105hz.

When you gonna send me some $$ mate ?
 Post Reply Post Reply