Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cerwin vega

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2010 at 12:43am
"Is that it honking at the double hump (170Hz-200Hz)?"

They did have a kind of 'woody honk', probably the behavior from 170hz~320hz or so. That happens to amplify the 3rd harmonic of notes in the 60hz~80hz region, so even if you cross them at 120hz or less, you still get that 'woody honk' when you push it.

" Looks okay for live work, small venue."

I had a lot of friends that ran them, back in the day.

One per side wasn't worth hooking up.

Two per side have good 'slam', but no real bass.

Four per side start having some bass, but nothing real deep.

I built some double 15 boxes that were slightly bigger (2Hx3Wx4D). A stacked pair of these laid waste to a stack of four of the CV; much, much more output in the 40hz~50hz region.

Shorty after this I invented my PPSL boxes. They went much lower, had much less distortion, and were easier to build. Now I only build horns for above 100hz.

Edited by _djk_ - 13 June 2010 at 12:45am
djk
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2010 at 12:50am
to me a pd188 loaded sl36 style cab is a dream.  way smoother sounding that a 1850/186 (loaded with correct drivers), with much better upper bass performance.  and still usable in terms of low frequency ability.   id love to hear a group of 4x pd186 loaded sl36's.  id happily play an sl36 style folded 18" up to 200-250hz and im certain no one in the audience would complain there was a lack of 'sub'.  
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234