Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4 ohm woofer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommaso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 ohm woofer?
    Posted: 20 January 2007 at 10:27am
i know, my english it's not good..
is possible to put a 4 ohm woofer into the x1? if is it possible you can advise me what is a good 4 ohm woofer to put in the sub?

thanks a lot
niteskydisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niteskydisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 6:04pm
the impedance of driver only depends on the amplifiers, not the cabinet.

As a rule of thumb a 4 ohm driver would be able to carry 2X watts whereas the same driver at 8 ohm would only carry X watts. Bear in mind however that 2 4 ohm drivers in parallell will give 2 ohm and that many cheaper amplifiers are not stable at anything less than 4 ohms.

Final choice of driver depends very much on what the system is to be used for many speaker manufacturers make the same drivers available with different impedaces, its well worth looking round to find one that suits the job in hand!
pooju View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by niteskydisco niteskydisco wrote:

the impedance of driver only depends on the amplifiers, not the cabinet.

not sure that's strictly true, drivers as semiconductors have a fixed impedance that will react differently to different forms of current.

Horn cabinets [unlike the X1, a bandpass box] can increase the impedance, the punisher be a case in point, look at the impedance charts in the 40-70hz range. 

Originally posted by niteskydisco niteskydisco wrote:

As a rule of thumb a 4 ohm driver would be able to carry 2X watts whereas the same driver at 8 ohm would only carry X watts.

Think this is the otherway round isn't it? a 4ohm driver cannot 'carry' anymore power, in contrast to and 8ohm driver, rather, it will half the resistance/impedance/load the amplifiers see's allowing it deliver more juice, and like you say this is reason why its puts stress on the amp when wired in parallel, wiring in series would give the amp more control.

no offense, nitesky what you said amounts to the same thing, just the reasoning might confuse things.

I thought too maybe he was just asking if anyone knows of a 4ohm driver suitable for the x1.

precision devices, offer 4ohm versions of some of their drivers, check their website [there's links from the pro audio parts website], fane also have made 4ohm versions of the 18xb,  but sourcing them is going to be difficult.

Mike Severloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Severloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by tommaso tommaso wrote:

is possible to put a 4 ohm woofer into the x1? if is it possible you can advise me what is a good 4 ohm woofer to put in the sub?

thanks a lot

Hi,

I will try PD.186 4 Ohm and BMS 18n850-4 in an X1, since there is no need for some venues to use more than 1 .. 2 subs. Got PD.186 now, sounds fine.

Using active 4way stacks, I fire sub and kickbass from the large 2-channel amps, smaller ones feed the tops.

So the sub gets approx. 800 W into 4 ohms,
kickbass horn is īround 500 W into 8,
midhorn is about 150 W into 8 , and
mid-high horn is around 80w into 16 Ohms.

Again, itīs all horns except the X1 sub. Works fine. Loud enough for Metal.

Edited by Mike Severloh - 21 June 2007 at 1:18pm
Mike Severloh.
 Post Reply Post Reply