Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xbox1 vs PS4 vs PC - discuss/curse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2013 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

i don't understand people who insist that gaming capable PCs all cost £1k+ and must be upgraded every 3 years. Total rubbish.

I concur.

Just built/bought a PC, 750W Corsair PSU, AMD FX 8350 clocked at 4GHz, 16Gb Ram, Zalman Z9 case with more fans you can shake a stick at, 1Gb ATI GFX card , 2 x 1Tb 7200rpm sata HDD as 1 x 1TB raid 1, Asus M5A78L-M/USB3, 2 Samsung DVD burners and a Samsung 128Gb SSD for OS. Inc W7 pro (oem but genuine), all in for £650 inc VAT. A little overly blue LED for my personal taste, but very quiet, and took a legacy PCI card for my Edirol DA2496 8in/8out sound card.

Boots in about 14 seconds, and is silly whizzy. If I wanted to go crazy, more powerful graphics card, and water cooling, and more overclocking available, but it is quicker than I can click, as is.

That should do me at least 5 years, before I even think about an upgrade. Maybe migrate to a bigger OS SSD, in a couple of years, when 1TB SSD is about £50?
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2013 at 4:21pm
Back to OP, I have a letterbomb hacked Wii, working as a media server for Front room Hifi/AV. Naff, but cheap. It does bug me to get a better solution.

For not a lot of money, you can get some very pretty, or very small and hideable, media PCs, or build something yourself, for front room (i.e. has to be high on Wife Acceptance Factor).

PS4/Xbox tend to score low with wife, as implies I will want to spend some time playing games, which is not seen as a reasonable way to spend my time, I should of course be emptying the bins, or repainting the spare room, etc. A media PC is an easier sell (To the wife who thinks all a PS4 is for, is for gaming), but can do pretty much the same things.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2013 at 5:31pm
Quote Spectrum plus lazer squad ftw, idiots.

Winner
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
CritikalMass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CritikalMass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2013 at 7:09pm
I use PC, can't fault the easy of use with mouse and keyboard or even a game controller, unlimited upgrades and ability to sell old parts to mates etc. I've only spent 500 on my rig and it can play even the most demanding games out at the moment. I believe Crisis 3 is the benchmark for most enthusiasts? The new tomb raider has graphics settings all the way past ultra and into ultimate which I like ;)

I also have a ps3 for more social gaming as most mates have one and the delayed launch of GTAV on the pc platform was to much of a temptation. PC is currently out of order though as due to upgrades my MOBO burned out or my RAM has fried I'm unsure, have a picture of what my pc shows me and have had graphics card tested and it's ok, maybe one of you lot knows a bit more about it than me? Don't really wanna fork out before I buy new bits maybe open a new thread...sorry for the hi-jack!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123