Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anyone know how to fix this?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CritikalMass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2013 at 8:46pm
The mobo has onboard gpu but is only VGA out so can't test if this works
TENSiON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TENSiON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2013 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by CritikalMass CritikalMass wrote:

For this kind of rainbow I'd expect it to be a problem with my RAM more than a shorted PCI port on the mobo. What are your thoughts? Is it likely I could have fried both sticks?

Wait, so now we are suddenly talking about "frying"? LOL
Have you, perhaps, just shortly before the incident, tried to overclock something? Tongue

As I said, it is quite unlikely that a broken/corrupt RAM module would cause anything like the patterns you are seeing on your display. But the beep from your mobo is certainly trying to tell you something (look up inside the mobo manual).

You could always try to remove one of the RAM sticks, juggle them around in different slots, even try to turn in on without any modules inserted.. and if doing this has still no effect on the "rainbow", then you can be quite sure the sticks are not the major cause (they can still be dead, though).

And the shorted PCI-E slot was just an examle. There is a lot of other possible PCI-E related issues that could be causing the GFX to freeze like that, be it mobo or gfx side. But as I said, it is quite unlikely, and you won't know until you try exchanging each piece..

Does the pattern appear right after powering on, or is there some other text/screen appearing before? If it happens just after the boot screen - at the point where the OS should be starting to load, then it could be just a corrupted GFX driver.

patryk1305 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patryk1305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2013 at 9:35pm
Depends on his motherboard, a beep could mean that the boot was successful and there were no errors found. I would try the vga connection to your tv from the mobo's integrated graphics (your tv should have a vga).
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2013 at 2:50am

Wanna cheap PCI-e card to check whole rig, if the screen if fine, I would wager you have blown the loader chip for the FPGA that is you graphs card...

Prob is that if the board makes sync(iE wakes up your screen) you are stuffed, PM me a beer (thatchers £4.10) +£3 postage  will get you  working PCI-E card to slam into your mobo!

CritikalMass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CritikalMass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2013 at 6:32pm
I will repeat, it's not the graphics card. It was bench tested by www.overclockers.co.uk at my expense. They found no faults.

Which leads to my original assumption.
TENSiON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TENSiON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2013 at 7:24pm

by www.overclockers.co.uk

That, and the "fried" word mentioned earlier on.. Just a coincidence? Wink

What exactly did happen before the machine went all "rainbowy" on you? Did you perhaps try to overclock something recently? (you still haven't answered that one yet Confused)

PS: Have you already tried clearing the BIOS/CMOS?
(you know, wiping all the saved bad overclock settings, and all that..)
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2013 at 7:28pm

Just stepping back, you have of, tried another HMDI/DVI cable?

Looks like the monitor isn't syncing (the way digital is transferred you don't just get a wandering picture you get jjibberish, they with a know good HDMI lead.

My off of a crappy card FOC so you can check it is not the board and card failing to chat stands...

audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2013 at 8:13pm
On a completely random track but nevertheless possibly related, is it anything to do with this website, or perhaps another, which has very much the same screen image?

http://www.happyhourvirus.com/
Select the 'middle' option lower down the page

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CritikalMass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2013 at 8:21pm
I have already said I didn't overclock the card lol. The term 'fried was used in a loose sense of the word haha. There is very little chance anything overheated, I have constant system monitoring software and fan controller hardware that controls everything except the CPU cooling unit (3 fans dual heatsink) which is controlled by the BIOS anyway if I'm not mistaken.

I dont need to overclock the system as it is enough already to do what I ask of it. 6 core 3.3ghz processor never goes above 60℃ and the GPU (Radeon HD7870 2gb) has also never been clocked and never run above 50℃

I still haven't tried a different HDMI cable but I will try that and see if it works.

If that doesn't work a guy has offered to have a poke around inside for me.

Machine symptoms were little or nothing beforehand. As I have previously posted I did have a period where this rainbow would appear and a soft restart would fix the problem, when the machine rebooted it was fine.

Now, this rainbow will not go away but the rest of the system seems to start up fine ( as far as I can tell without a display)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CritikalMass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2013 at 8:25pm
TENSiON** www.overclockers.co.uk is probably the best value for money/fastest delivery service I have used. Plus they send a small pack of haribo with every delivery so I just keep going back....haha
patryk1305 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patryk1305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2013 at 9:04pm

TENSiON** www.overclockers.co.uk is probably the best value for money/fastest delivery service I have used. Plus they send a small pack of haribo with every delivery so I just keep going back....haha

I never got any haribo.... LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12