Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Thunderridge System

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Thunderridge System
    Posted: 13 January 2014 at 4:27pm
So I thought it was about time I updated you with how my system is coming along. Many of you might remember what I started out with last year which was a mismatch of hd's, 1850's, Cerwin Vega V152's and some JBL M350's and 330's. Just uneducated buying but we live and learn.
I have sold most of this now but kept the JBL M330's for monitors and now have a nice old school Thunderridge setup.
I have ordered up new acoustic foam grills today to cover all the cabinets today so they all match and look a lot smarter. It will also hopefully protect the fibreglass horns on the mid/tops as they aren't cheap to replace! I have replaced all the gaskets on all cabinets to make sure they are all 100% airtight and replaced all the crosshead bolts that hold down the access panels on the SB's and hold the horns in place on the tops with black allen key bolts (after photo was taken). I think they look a lot better than the silver bolts that were in use and also less likely to crosshead.
All the cabinets have just had a nice fresh coat or 3 of tuff cab too which has made a difference :)
So as it sit's or stands heres what I have now

4 Thunderridge SB1000's (later models were the XB118)- 3 loaded with Beyma g550 18" 900w and one loaded with a 1000" PHL (easy to spot, it has no top hat) which will be getting swapped out for a G550 so they all match. 
4 Dummy SB's to add height so the mid/tops don't scream in your ears. (could be loaded with a bit of work)
4 Thunderridge Eclipse 850's - Loaded with Beyma 15dx dual concentric drivers, 15" main driver with a 2" compression driver.

2 JBL M330's as monitor speakers

The amp rack is coming on nicely now too. My Kelsey distro should be with me this week and I have ordered a custom made patch panel which should be here next week, will upload a photo of all that when finished.
I need to get one of the pots on my BSS looked at as it is not responding which is a pain but luckily I have it linked to another one.

Here's a cheeky little photo of most of it stacked up in the lock up, 1 mid/top missing as I was still working on it.

Music Will Never Leave You!
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2014 at 4:37pm

Haha I have the exact same system setup except that 4 of the sb1000s aren't dummies. Nice job!

Are they dummy boxes or are they sb1000s that just aren't loaded?

Evan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2014 at 4:52pm
They are dummy boxes at present, exact same external dimensions but it gives me the required height on the mid tops to stack it like it is. I'm touring with the idea of some tilt boards for the tops. Im on the hunt for a completely trashed SB1000 that I can pull apart so I can see how they go together and that way I should be able to get the parts CNC'd so I can get 4 more loaded ones. Thats the plan anyway but if 2 SB2000's turn up at a decent price or even another 4 SB1000's then I will just do that I think.
How do you run your tops? I find mine a bit harsh. The SB's give a amazing raw sound. I would be interested in what eq you put on both cabinets.
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2014 at 5:40pm

At present I don't need tilt boards as they are ok height wise atm, but I have thought of that as well. Same with getting a 2 more sb1000s myself. End plan is 12 sb1000s with 6 eclipse tops, maybe a couple of infras that I've been designing to sit underneath. So if you hear of any that you can't get ;)

My tops don't have crossovers in, I run them active. I don't find them that harsh now tbh, but I've messed about with different amps and power ratings. getting the boxes time aligned first is key.

They one thing I find is that they don't reach the really highs, so some sort of bullets to add some sparkle might be on the cards.

Evan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2014 at 5:52pm
I thought about getting some tilts made that you can mount to the bottom of the Eclipse as mine have the "flying" adapters on them and then somehow strap through the board rather than over the top as I find it hard to strap when I have the tops splayed out if you know what I mean. Thunderridge cabinets seem to be very very hard to find for sale, never seen any Eclipse for sale and I've only seen a few SB1000's and 2000s over the past couple of years and I knew 2 of those people, 1 being the person I got all mine from. My Eclipse have the beyma fd250 crossovers built into them at present but will go active in the long run. What delay do use for the tops? I have no idea on the horn length on the SB's. Have you got any photo's of your system, would love to see them if you do :)
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2014 at 6:04pm
I might have a pair of SB1000 up for Grabs , i think wires wants a pair , i have 4 at present along with the XP112 tops .

I have someone interested in the tops , they might want the whole system . Im waiting to hear back .

The sb1000 would be £600 a pair ........
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2014 at 6:09pm

I've seen loads of sb2000s about and a fair few sb1000s over the last year or so but sods law that when you actually want them they disappear... just have to keep looking I guess. Can get them built new, but would rather go 2nd hand if poss.

I will have a look at my current settings later on for you. These are still being tweaked with every gig though. I'm still using my ASS gear a lot atm because I know it inside and out, so the TR has only been out on a dozen or so shows but I'm very happy with it. Have some photos on my laptop; however they look the same as yours but with grilles on them.

Edited by wires - 13 January 2014 at 6:13pm
Evan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2014 at 6:56pm
Cheers Wires.... I look forward to seeing someone else's take on the settings for the same gear, I know it all depends on venue too but still will be a educational read. When you have run it what amps have you been using out of interest? Im running mine through a BSS334 at the moment, will need to get a 336 to go active though as I will need the extra 2 outputs, I have made provisions for this with my new patch panel so that won't be a issue.

Djdarch, let me know if you do sell a pair, I would be interested.
Evan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2014 at 7:04pm
In fact here's a much nicer picture of it with the 4th Top but still missing a dummy box. You can just see the 2 Optikinetics Solar 250 projectors that Im refurbishing at the moment on the right hand side. I love a little project haha

Edited by Evan - 14 January 2014 at 7:05pm
GSouth95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSouth95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2018 at 1:39pm
I’ve just acquired a pair of eclipses exactly the same as these, just wondered what you’re powering to? Assuming yours are bi amp too? Driver spec doesn’t seem to specify if the Hf rating is AES or not. Any help much appreciated! 
 Post Reply Post Reply