Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

port location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: port location
    Posted: 17 January 2014 at 7:15pm
I am currently making a small boombox type speaker and i am wondering where to put the ports ?
I was planing on putting them on the back but by doing so it would only leave a 4 cm space between the end of the tube and the front panel of the box is this enough space ? or do i need to mount them on the side?
Thanks for any help.
Alex

Edited by alex. - 17 January 2014 at 8:30pm
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2014 at 8:54pm
How long is the port?
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
alex. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2014 at 9:01pm
35mm x 120mm, the box is 160mm from back panel to the begging of the front panel

Edited by alex. - 17 January 2014 at 9:03pm
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2014 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by alex. alex. wrote:

35mm x 120mm, the box is 160mm from back panel to the begging of the front panel

It might be worth trying to change the port size? so that its shorter? Personally I prefer ports on the front panel, as my cabs always tend to be built in multiples and stacked up.

However , if its just a single boombox, and you dont plan to stack multiples, etc, you could pretty much put the ports anywhere, they are mainly there to tune the cab, and providing the ports dont get obstructed when in use, they will still do the job.
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2014 at 9:41pm
Yeah put them where ever is convient. Just try to get the port end inside as much 'freedom' as possible :)
alex. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2014 at 1:07pm
I've got about 4cm on the inside so if that is enough space ? i'll put them on the back(i have already ordered the ports).
Thanks.
Alex
TIP220 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIP220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2014 at 1:18pm
I'm sure I read somewhere that half the diameter of the port is the minimum free space required between end of the port and an internal surface.
so with a 35mm port the 40 mm you have should be fine 
 Post Reply Post Reply