Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PHL Drivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66DeCo99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PHL Drivers
    Posted: 20 March 2014 at 8:47am
Anyone used these? Specs look reasonable, Just want a second opinion on the 6030...
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 9:05am
Yes, they're awesome at bass/mid & mid. maybe not so good at sub cones - or at least, I never managed to get them to work as well as some other cones.
Very difficult to get hold of though, as they do minimum orders, and build to order, so you may be waiting a while.
Consequently, they're mostly used by manufacturers really, especially the French ones. Nexo, L acoustics, etc. Quite a few UK manufacturers use them too.
A bit of an annoying shape, if you want to rebate them in. Good for line array though, as they can be mounted really close to each other.
I think Philipe LeSage (PHL) was chief designer of Audax for more than 10 yrs before creating PHL.

Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
66DeCo99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66DeCo99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 9:19am
Noticed thunderridge used them and liked the sound. I am able to get hold of a few second hand. Should I go for it?
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 9:36am
My Refekta System started life with PHL, and they were certainly good sounding speakers. The only reason I changed speakers was that the power handling was over rated. The 6030 isn't the biggest in the range, and from memory, might have a 3" voice coil. Not sure how the situation ended up, but in the early days when I had them, PHL were trying to insist that re-coning was done back in France which just wasn't practical. Overall, very good sounding speakers.
66DeCo99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66DeCo99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 10:08am
Very reassuring to know you used them tony. The reason I asked is because I can get hold of them for £60 a driver from a friend who has no use for them. Should I go for it? 
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 10:17am
If he's a friend, try them out 1st. Wink
Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
66DeCo99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66DeCo99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 10:20am
I'll see if I can pinch one and try it out :]
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 1:30pm
Peavey use PHL too. They are everywhere.

If they happen to be the same drivers as the PHL in the PS15mk1, I'll take a couple if there's any spares.
66DeCo99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66DeCo99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 4:57pm
No probs Samv. I'll keep you posted :]

Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 5:39pm
Genelec use or used to use PHL - says quite a lot. Power handling is not up to PA though.

S
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 6:04pm
One last thing from me, I had 10 18's that needed re-coning, and Paul at Wembly sorted some stuff out. He got the Coils from the States and put them all together for me. Good 'ol Paul.
66DeCo99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66DeCo99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 6:36pm
I think I'm gunna go for them. Tried one in a THAM-15. Like them a lot
 Post Reply Post Reply