Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cutting 186 Horn Mitres

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutting 186 Horn Mitres
    Posted: 09 April 2014 at 9:54am
What is the best way to do the mitres on a folded horn box? I would like to build some 186 Horns, but need to know if there are any "tricks" to getting the mitres perfect. I'm not sure if the calculated angles transferred to a Festool track saw will be accurate enough.? I gather there are also some angle cuts in excess of the capabilities of such a saw?

My initial plan was to have the sides of the boxes CNC cut to give me the folded horn rebates - thats easy, but I would like to do the best job I can of the mitering. Do the flat pack guys also cut the mitre angles on cnc to avoid this issue?
crossed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2014 at 10:27am
I've always just adjusted my angle on the saw to whatever angle I need, I'll test the angle cut with a piece of scrap wood and use a protractor or something similar to check the angle and then once the angle is tweaked and spot on I set my fence a little longer than I need and shave it off a little at a time until perfect measurements. 

I can't trust any of the measurements labeled on my wood working equipment, so I use it as a course setting and then finish the fine settings by hand.

Edited by crossed - 09 April 2014 at 10:28am
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2014 at 7:17pm

Yes a Decent CNC setup will cut perfect mitres, and if you can afford it is the way to go, if you want to do them yourself a rail saw like a Festool TS-55 is the min I would attack with a decent table saw is better and one with a mitre fence (anything over 45 degree requires angling the board onto the blade) is a dream..

One thing I did see on here is a guy axed all his mitres with a router in a jig, I guess you do a rough cut with a saw and them finish with the router, some thing like this :-

he just clamped piece to the sides to guide the panels, very clever..

Smile

Fabianm_be View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fabianm_be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 10:36am
i'm using a Festool rail saw for all my speakers work (mitre or not) and got a good result with a bit of care Smile

Edited by Fabianm_be - 10 April 2014 at 10:38am
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 11:43am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Yes a Decent CNC setup will cut perfect mitres, and if you can afford it is the way to go, if you want to do them yourself a rail saw like a Festool TS-55 is the min I would attack with a decent table saw is better and one with a mitre fence (anything over 45 degree requires angling the board onto the blade) is a dream..

One thing I did see on here is a guy axed all his mitres with a router in a jig, I guess you do a rough cut with a saw and them finish with the router, some thing like this :-

he just clamped piece to the sides to guide the panels, very clever..

Smile

I remember seeing that thread but can't for the life of me find it now. Looks like it could be a good way to do it for those of us who can't afford a decent rail / table saw. Thanks for the diagram, makes it easier to see how it would work.

Does anyone remember the original build thread this idea came from?
catalin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote catalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 12:15pm
Hi there
Try this http://forum.speakerplans.com/pd-1851_topic65709_page3.html
I used the jig whith very good resuts
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by catalin catalin wrote:

Hi there
Try this http://forum.speakerplans.com/pd-1851_topic65709_page3.html
I used the jig whith very good resuts

Ah that was it, thanks! Peeping through the slot at the top of the jig I think I can see how you hold the work piece at the right angle. Clever stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply