Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B&C DE500 v P Audio BM D440 in the Xtros

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lliw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B&C DE500 v P Audio BM D440 in the Xtros
    Posted: 25 April 2014 at 4:29am
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if they have heard these two comp drivers in the Xtro? Which sounds best the recommended DE500 or the BM D440. I appreciate the recommended driver is the DE500, but often people find via testing that other drivers work just aswell - often better, 

I am asking because i am purchasing some Xtros soon and don't wish to have to upgrade parts.

Obviously, if the BM D440 will do the job just as well then i'm perfectly happy in leaving them in. 

B&C DE500: http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BACDE500

P Audio BM D440: http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAUBM2D4408&browsemode=manufacturer

Many thanks,

Will

LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2014 at 6:47am
I have not compered them next to each other but now own de500 and had bm-d440, and I think its highend vs hifi. De500 in top that is :-). 500 have more powerhandling too.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2014 at 8:40pm
Having compared the BM-D440 to various other drivers, including other P-Audio ones, I would say it is definitely a budget driver and you get what you pay for.

The DE500 being neo is a particularly expensive driver.  I haven't used it but I have heard many other B&C compression drivers, all of which are far more refined than the P-Audio offerings.

The P-Audio drivers aren't bad and represent excellent value for money but there is a noticeable difference when you step up to a decent driver by one of the big names.  Personally from the P-Audio range I would go for the SD44BF as I think it has a slightly nicer top end than the BM-D450 which is in turn better than the 440.
lliw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lliw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2014 at 12:48am
Many thanks for the replies!

I think i am going to go for the DE500 ultimately. Clarity and definition on top end is something i find very important in our sound system, however, i am going to test with the BM-D440 before i decide anything. The XTROS i am getting have the BM-D440 fitted so i will give them a shot first before i decide to sell those and purchase the B&Cs.

Thanks guys!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2014 at 1:33am
B&C DE250 would be a significantly cheaper alternative to the DE500 while still giving far superior performance to the 440.  I think the DE500 was originally specified because it's neo and therefore lighter.
 Post Reply Post Reply