Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wadding in the X12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tendril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wadding in the X12
    Posted: 13 February 2007 at 2:57pm
Is wadding needed in the X12? Have built 2 cabs and am waiting for the cash to buy the drivers.

Also, where can I get the Selenium HL 14-50 Horn from in the UK? Found this site in the USA but would like to avoid international shipping.

cheers

Edited by tendril - 13 February 2007 at 3:04pm
Tendril

A mistake is a mistake only if one learns nothing from it.
unclejam View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclejam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2007 at 6:12pm
pap my friend links @ the bottom of the page
tendril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tendril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2007 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by unclejam unclejam wrote:

pap my friend links @ the bottom of the page

Already looked there. They don't have Selenium horns listed anywhere.
Tendril

A mistake is a mistake only if one learns nothing from it.
Jochen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jochen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2007 at 11:06am
Don't know if wadding is needed in the X12.  Our 4 X12's sound pretty good without any wadding.
I like my sugar with coffee and cream
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2007 at 1:02pm
Most damping material is usually stuck in the wrong place anyway. To be truly effective it should be placed in middle of the space to be damped not on the boundary walls where it has minimum effect.

A few years ago there was a HI-Fi reviewer that used to argue that removing all damping from cabs had the effect of making the character of the sound much more open and entertaining!!
Whilst I think this is a very simplistic view of the subject I do think that the role of damping material * when just applied to boundary surfaces is often exaggerated.

Tony

* especially when said damping is plain old B.A.F. or Fi-Glass. My own monitor cabs always have a good slab of long fibre wool suspended behind the bass-mid driver + felt underlay on the walls.

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 12 June 2007 at 1:05pm
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 9:52am

hi tendril have a look here also for the horn. its a french company, a bit closer maybe for shipping??

kev

Edited by kevin tyler - 13 June 2007 at 9:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply