Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

19" rackcase suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 19" rackcase suggestions
    Posted: 28 May 2014 at 3:57pm
I need to rehouse some ATX based PCs into cases which will give some additional support to the graphics cards as we are getting increasing numbers of problems as the graphics cards (cooling) get bigger.

Idealy something along the lines of a Hippo Stage case where there is an additional support for the edge of the graphics card.

Space for an optical drive on the front is required too.

The more shockproofing built in the better.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
cassiya View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 5:34pm
what you on about mate? show me some pics of what you're after?
I have some 19" rack  mount  PCcases which might be what you're after?

Just because you got more boxes that don't make you a man....
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 12:18am
You need to go 3U to get a decent card structure, then you rapidly realise 4U lets you use a standard ATX power supply.

We run 4 x FirePro/Quadra boards in a single 3U case with no cooling problems, you need to make sure you are buying at the pro level, not gamer junk, just spent £100 on a cooler for an AM FX-9350 and it runs 40 deg hotter than an OEM FX-8350 cooler on the same chip. Junk, Utter JUNK, avoid liquid cooling at all cost (again a lo-end fad, not used by HP. etc) check servercase.co.uk for both product and advice!!!

imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 10:48am
Thanks.

4U isn't a problem, we're carrying plenty of empty space in the tower cases at the moment anyway.

Cassiya - I'll be needing 12 + identical cases so I'm expecting to be buying them new.

Does anyone use the slide out rack mounted keyboard with integrated monitor combos? looks like a neat way to cut down set up time but I wonder how nice they are to work on when mounted with a 4U machine?
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 1:43pm
The Keyboard thiong you are talking about are KVM consoles, they can cost a mint and a lot are 1024x768 or 1280/1024 for a grand!!!!!

I use HP TFT7600 which at least have a half decent res, but are not cheap even on eBay they can make £400!!

Make VERY sure you get the rack rails with them as they are F**king useless without them, you also need a 700mm deep rack to use them...

imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 3:32pm
Hmm. Not a problem to pay for the right product, but I'd really want dual, switchable inputs and 1920 x 1080.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 3:41pm
Startech do a 1080 one, I bought a few a while back for about $1100 USB, I also used the Startech KVM swtichers, again not cheap, but I have one on the bench that switches DVI-d and VGA simultaneously which save a load of time changing from VGA to DP to HDMI to DVI as I just have one of each permantly on the swtich...

Shaun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

Thanks.

4U isn't a problem, we're carrying plenty of empty space in the tower cases at the moment anyway.

Cassiya - I'll be needing 12 + identical cases so I'm expecting to be buying them new.

Does anyone use the slide out rack mounted keyboard with integrated monitor combos? looks like a neat way to cut down set up time but I wonder how nice they are to work on when mounted with a 4U machine?
We use them, horrifically expensive but they do look the biz, you can get them from black box
No, it is not a line array it is some well stacked boxes...............
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

The Keyboard thiong you are talking about are KVM consoles, they can cost a mint and a lot are 1024x768 or 1280/1024 for a grand!!!!!

I use HP TFT7600 which at least have a half decent res, but are not cheap even on eBay they can make £400!!

Make VERY sure you get the rack rails with them as they are F**king useless without them, you also need a 700mm deep rack to use them...

Oh they are very nice indeed, if only I had a use for them........................

Edited by oldskool - 29 May 2014 at 5:21pm
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Startech do a 1080 one, I bought a few a while back for about $1100 USB, I also used the Startech KVM swtichers

How have you found them, I've only had a few Startech bits and pieces and not been too impressed.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 7:24pm
The KVM switcher is ok, but noddy, wall wart powered and not rack mount mounted, the 1080 res console was not HP or even Dell quality, but if you need a decent screen size, they are ok, most are server consoles, powershell does need 800x600 let alone 1920x1080...

Personally I would prefer 1600x1200 but I never seen one....

Post Reply Post Reply