Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subs for under 4 HD15's?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benjo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subs for under 4 HD15's?
    Posted: 30 June 2014 at 11:41am
Hi. I've just built 4 Hd15's. Really pleased with how punchy they are but need something to sit underneath that's gunna play a lot lower and rattle some organs.

I'm going to be playing mainly house music, bassline, jackin etc. but wud be playing other things too!

Was thinking about letterbox X1's and having a pair underneath but have heard these suck outdoors? My rig is used inside and out.
The other idea was scoops but heard the slow response can make house sound a little sluggish and less punchy?

What wud people suggest?

Thanks
Ben
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2014 at 12:25pm
If you just want a jack of all trades box then build some 18 or 21 reflex boxes and tune them low with the appropriate volume/drivers. Be prepared to throw quite a bit of power at those lower octaves when using them and then perhaps cross over to the HDs at about 80Hz, you'd have to play around to find the optimum point. Scoops would probably work quite well too crossed at a similar frequency.

I wouldn't say X1s suck outdoors, I've heard quite a few together in a large marquee and it was good times. It is somewhat hard to predict where the bass will be loudest when using them perhaps, a bit like when you put folded horns in a room and the loudest bass is in the toilet or car park...
 Post Reply Post Reply