Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

quick x1 question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: quick x1 question
    Posted: 19 February 2007 at 6:41am
need a quick response so please dont tell me about the x1 section.

i got told that to time align an x1 and hd15 that i just need to reverse the polarity of the x1 and add no delays on the boxes.

is this true?

also, if it is true, when using the x1's and hd's with another box, say an 1850, would i just need to reverse the x1 and delay it at the same rate as the hd to meet the 1850?

thanks
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 1:41pm

Cross at 70-75hz with a 24db butterworth (you'll get a flatter response than with 24db LR) as the peak in the butterworth curve makes up for the drop off in the HD15's response.

Delay the X1 by 1.1ms.

Phase/polarity will depend on what crossover you're using as they are neither in or out of phase with each other.  Some crossovers are limited to 0 or 180 degrees...  They are a multiple of 45 degrees out of phase but I can't tell you exactly what off the top of my head, maybe -135 degrees?  Best bet is alter the phase in 45 degree steps until the bass sounds fattest...  If you've only got the choice of inverting the polarity then pick the one that sounds best...

"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
al_x View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 3:23pm
Thanks mate, i can change the phase on our ultradrive.    
what would you recomend for the high pass? we are using 32hz with 48dB butterworth and 80hz with a 24dB butters.
and one final question, once all six are built, what would you recomend as far as x-over points with 12 hd's above?
al
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2007 at 6:45pm
32hz and 48db butterworth sounds pretty much spot on.

We used 6 X1 and 12 HD15 at a festival last summer and crossed about 70Hz ish. 

The delay and phase settings will depend on the crossover point you use as the group delay varies dependant on frequency...  If you're crossing at 80hz then the delay you need might be slightly lower...

Edited by Dom - 19 February 2007 at 6:47pm
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
 Post Reply Post Reply