Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

do i need hd horns above 186 horns?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2014 at 6:47pm
There big but sbh folded horns be nice , esp if mainly you require something for outside,lots of these beasts popping up now, plan is on here ,best results seem to be void v1000 driver, and will throw very nice outside much better than a g sub

Edited by paulus - 23 July 2014 at 6:48pm
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2014 at 6:27pm
Had a look at sbh horns they look impressive and if I had an HGV licence I'd be building four right now unfortunately I think they would just prove too impractical logistically do the g subs go low and is there an eminence driver option as their units are within my budget as much as I'd love to load them with ultra quality units I have to way up pros and cons as I intend to hire this system to live bands locally I don't want to be forking out for more expensive units if some numpty blows a cone so I'd need to put units in that are replaceable using their deposit money to buy them so deposit would be affordable?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2014 at 11:35am
So would four 186 horns be as good as 8hds? I'm thinking if I can get the same amount of kick from four 186's then I could save on build cost and labour instead of building 8 hd's as I am building four x1 subs these would go on top of the x1 cabs then four x15 for mids and tops so I will be running two x1 and two 186 with two x15 per side ?
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2014 at 12:41pm
If you go with a dedicated sub like the X1 i wouln't bother with the 186 but build "real" kicks.
Instead of HD15 you could also use BPH238/TSE215 or have a look at Staipers ES18 if you would like to use 18's.

And when using kickbins you don't need 15's for tops. I'd go with 12's or even 10" drivers so you can get away with crossing a bit higher to your comps.

Edited by all bass - 04 October 2014 at 12:44pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2014 at 12:48pm
Is the 186 not a kick bin then as somebody told me it's not a sub so I thought the only other bass is mid bass or kick would it not run kick as well as what hd's do? Only reason being is they say each x1 needs two hd so that means I'd have to build eight of them I wanted to know if the 186 would be as good as two hd's per side so I could store them easier than the hd's so instead of four hd per side could I get away with two 186's instead ?
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2014 at 1:06pm
The problem is that the 186 is more of a "general" bass bin. It doesn't go quite low enough to be a sub but also does honk quite a fair bit in the higher frequencies. 

If it's packspace you are worried about then build the ES18's. They are smaller than the 186 horns but move considerably more air as HD15's. And for small gigs they could be used as single bass option (with a proper highpass) without subs. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12