Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X12 port placement query

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stitchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X12 port placement query
    Posted: 02 September 2014 at 1:26am
Hi I am in the middle of building some x12 style cabs, does it matter where I place the ports? either front or back? if on the back where would be the best place to have them? thanks in advance 
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by stitchy stitchy wrote:

Hi I am in the middle of building some x12 style cabs, does it matter where I place the ports? either front or back? if on the back where would be the best place to have them? thanks in advance 

Back mounting should be fine, as long as you don't have to mount the speakers hard up against a wall or other boxes, which would block them. As long as you have a foot or so of free space behind the port don't worry.

Anywhere on the back should be ok, one idea Eminence suggest is that if you're using 2 ports put one at the top and one at the bottom of the cab to try and promote more airflow (and thus cooling for the drivers).
stitchy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stitchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 2:09am

Having just built a pair of X12 style cabs I still haven't put the ports in yet, having seen how big a 100mm hole will look gone off the idea having them that big, looking for something like in pic. need help in calculating port sizes to cover same area as a 100mm hole would cover cabs are built almost to spec but are 1m tall in total, all help appreciated thanks in advance
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 1:02pm

One 100mm diameter port has an area of 78.5 cm2 which is the same as two 70.7mm diameter ports, three 57.8mm diameter ports or four 50mm diameter ports.

HTH,

David.

Post Reply Post Reply