Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2" Horns:60x40 vs 90x40 - Advantages/Disadvantages
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2" Horns:60x40 vs 90x40 - Advantages/Disadvantages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2" Horns:60x40 vs 90x40 - Advantages/Disadvantages
    Posted: 02 November 2014 at 3:08pm
Got pile of quality alu  2" 60x40 horns that I like sound of, mate says he prefers performance of the 90x40s.

Wondering if it's psycho acoustics telling him bigger is better, of if quality 90x40s do have better on axis performance, near and far field.

Opinions please..
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2014 at 3:34pm
Generally speaking the wider dispersion horns will have better CD behavior than the narrow dispersion horns. Thia is due to the generally too small size of almost all horns to physically limit dispersion. Whether this has any aonic advantage i don't believe there is any difference.
Best regards,
Teun.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2014 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Teunos Teunos wrote:

Generally speaking the wider dispersion horns will have better CD behavior than the narrow dispersion horns. Thia is due to the generally too small size of almost all horns to physically limit dispersion. Whether this has any aonic advantage i don't believe there is any difference.

I've managed to get sweet sounds from 2" 60x40s, by matching manufacturer comp & horn, but this time I'll be attaching JBL comps to B&C Horns. Worried...

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2014 at 6:25pm
Surely it comes down to the application.

In a longer, narrower venue you'd use the 60x40.  For a wider, shorter venue, you need the 90x40.

Since different manufacturers use different methods to control the dispersion, there are no hard and fast rules.  A 2" 90x40 Horn will almost certainly need to use a diffraction slot to get the dispersion which brings with it other disadvantages, including the potential introduction of distortion, resonances in the transition from 2" round throat to vertical slot etc.

The answer is, go with what works for you....

Post Reply Post Reply