Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

+3db at 35hz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashgwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: +3db at 35hz
    Posted: 11 November 2014 at 11:44am
we have recently reloaded our a hog scoops with beyma drivers. (theres a big long thread about it elsewhere)

on our first proper test at the weekend we upped 35hz by 3db on the eq to give a heavy sub bass.

is it bad to to this, they were being run off a pl380 one a side so 1500w the driver is rated at 1400w
the amp was flashing the -10db lights

is it ok to run like this or are we likely to damage drivers?
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2014 at 11:56am
If you are boosting at 35hz, what is your HPF ? Shocked

Also, expect your sub amps to clip real quick.

Edited by levyte357- - 11 November 2014 at 11:57am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
mashgwan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashgwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2014 at 1:07pm
it was set to 32hz i think, 
we didn't see any clip atall 
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2014 at 1:44pm
excursion minimum is at 35Hz so shouldn't damage driver as long as the q of the boost is 6 or narrower. not sure it will improve the sound much though
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2014 at 3:25pm
Had advice from a very good producer narrow q is not recommended and not usually used for bass frequencies. Aint sure why and does it even apply to PA or just to production.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2014 at 8:17pm
No you can use any Q factor you like for EQ, in any situation. Just depends how you want it to sound. I can't think of many applications where a very narrow boost in the bass would be useful, but I used to use a Klark Teknik DN410 on maximum Q (I think that's 20, so a very narrow filter indeed) to knock out 40Hz from PA systems to stop decks feeding back. It left the rest of the bass intact you see. There was no subjective change in the bass at all when the EQ was switched in, but the decks stopped booming completely.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2014 at 9:23pm
Yes you are quite right, I actually missed my point there haha. Narrow q is good when cutting a specific freq and wider for boosting.
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2014 at 10:00pm
DN410 narrow end is nominally 1/12 of an octave, so one semitone. Utterly lovely kit.
 Post Reply Post Reply