Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horn Pattern control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horn Pattern control
    Posted: 07 March 2007 at 7:42pm

In a conical horn is the pattern determined mainly by the angle of the flare walls and mouth size?

I'd like to have a predictable 40-50 degree pattern down to around 500hz with a 20x20" horn.

Possible?

_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2007 at 10:01pm
djk
coyote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2007 at 8:35am
Just what I was looking for... Thanks.

It looks like I won't be able to get down to 500hz with the horn in question.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2007 at 9:04am

something else to think about.

if you can calculate wave length from frequency, then a general guide is as follows.
once the wave length is longer than the horn, defraction comes into play. the larger frequencies will reach the mouth and then go sideways.
this is the reason you can never control bass frequencies acousticly. we always try to make our hf horns longer than the desired cut off to assure accuracy.
even with a large mid flair you only end up controling the top half of the range
i.e. if your low cut off in the mid is 150 hz then the length of your horn for total control would have to be 2.29 metres long minimum.
coyote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2007 at 10:58pm

I'm hoping to come up with an arrayable box that's not too large.  Got a bunch of Beta 10s and some 1.4" drivers.  Thinking of a conical flare with the four 10s on the horn walls. Or,  perhaps maybe a little low mid control by spacing the 10s as in the D&B "Q" series.

lovaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2007 at 7:42pm
mouth size control the minimum frequency that is possible to reproduce with the horn, i suggest instead reading about wave guide and directivity concerning line array principles if you are planing to make arrayable box
i hope this link can be interesting
LOVAZ AUDIO
coyote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 2:27pm

This will be a horizontal arrayed box.   I have a small vert line array which I am pleased with most of the time.  I need to come up with something that is SPL capable and easier to set up.  The LA is a real PIA to rig.

I'm hoping with a small controlled angle I can get enough output.  Then use enough boxes to cover the needed area.

Danley's Unity does very well for a small conical box.   So, I guess it's possible...  
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2007 at 5:00am
Sounds like you need some danleysound sh-50 types of things.
There are some articles on pro sound web showing clusters.
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2007 at 2:08am
http://www.prosoundweb.com/install/sac/hla/hla.php
philpope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philpope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by coyote coyote wrote:

This will be a horizontal arrayed box.   I have a small vert line array which I am pleased with most of the time.  I need to come up with something that is SPL capable and easier to set up.  The LA is a real PIA to rig.

I'm hoping with a small controlled angle I can get enough output.  Then use enough boxes to cover the needed area.

Danley's Unity does very well for a small conical box.   So, I guess it's possible...  

I have some U215s. working on a DIY version of the Unity horn part at the moment. Just got a pair of closed back 6" drivers from celestion and going to cannibalise a compression driver from one of my other cabs. will be playing around with some different sized pyramid horns this week and see what works.

Phil
 Post Reply Post Reply