Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Events and Ting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - JAH YOUTH x MUNGO'S HI-FI (2 ROOMS)..LEIC'..31.01
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JAH YOUTH x MUNGO'S HI-FI (2 ROOMS)..LEIC'..31.01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FELiS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JAH YOUTH x MUNGO'S HI-FI (2 ROOMS)..LEIC'..31.01
    Posted: 06 January 2015 at 11:17am
KONTAKT Presents...

- MUNGO'S HI-FI

Hosted By BROTHER CULTURE

- JAH YOUTH

Ft UWIMANA, PRINCE LIV I JAH, LIONESS FONTS

... BOTH WITH THEIR OWN SOUND SYSTEMS ...

====== 2 ROOMS OF DUB & BASS ======

=== SATURDAY 31st JANUARY 2015 ===

... 10.00pm - 05.00am

at Streetlife Venue
24 Dryden Street
City Centre
Leicester
LE1-3QE

For this epic event we bring together two true pioneers of reggae sounds both old and new for a night of heavy bass vibes!!

One venue, Two rooms, Two massive sound systems... In one room we have the mighty Jah Youth and in the other we have the heavyweight sounds of Mungo's Hi-Fi.

If you've seen either of these two sounds live you know this is an event not to be missed !!

-- MUNGO'S HI-FI -- DUB & BASS ARENA --

Mungo's Hi Fi champion the evolution reggae, dub and dancehall music and are re-invigorating sound system culture. They have developed formidable live shows, collaborating with foundation legends like Ranking Joe, Sugar Minott and Sister Nancy as well as top vocalists on the scene at the moment including Charlie P, Solo Banton, Mr Williamz, YT and Scotland's own lyrical lassie Soom T. 

The live work feeds directly into the studio productions. Mungo's crucial releases, mainly on their own Scotch Bonnet label, have topped the reggae bestsellers on numerous occasions. 'Sound system Champions' their Double LP released in 2008 has turned many on to their sounds and the massive 'Forward Ever' from 2011 gave a preview of what is to come on singles and EPs. The releases have been supported by tours in Japan, Brazil, Mexico, Australia and the USA, as well as countless live shows on their sound system touring throughout the UK and Europe. 

Mungo's Hi Fi are Tom Tattersall, Douglas Paine, Craig Macleod, James Whelan and Jerome Joly, supported by the rest of the Scotch Bonnet Crew.

MORE INFO at http://www.mungoshifi.net/

-- JAH YOUTH -- DUB & ROOTS ARENA --

The name of the sound speaks for itself and watching this sound system in operation is to behold some true masters at work.

Originally set up 1975, Jah Youth Sound system is today one of the top roots sound systems in the United Kingdom and Europe. Although based in the UK, they have traveled extensively throughout Europe and Africa taking a conscious and cultural reggae music to the youths. The sound has a minimum crew of 10 persons among them there are singers D.J,s operators and selectors.

You have also probably heard their D.J’s Culture Marvellous & Prince Liv-I-Jah chat lyrical consciousness, Ras Echo sing angelic tones and melodies for Rastafari. Bro. Bud the flag bearer. Brother Locks-Lee Selects all your favourite reggae tunes from yesteryear to today, and Jah Youth operate and mix around riddims to create that extra special atmosphere.
You will have seen their clean customised, red painted boxes standing strong, tall and upright, piled high in the dancehalls and bellowing out those black experience sounds of Rastafari Roots and Culture.

Jah Youth Sound have toured internationally with famous artists such as Dr. Aliman-Tado, Burning Spear, Augustus Pablo, Gregory Isaacs, and Third World, and have played alongside all the top UK roots sound systems including Jah Shaka, Fatman, Quaker City and Moambassa – to mention a few- AND more recently, the new wave of digital dub sounds!

However, over the years most of the sound systems the world-over seem to be struggling to remain true to the Roots of Reggae music culture and have changed with these trendy ‘times’. 

This is not so with Jah Youth they have maintained that core element of Roots Music and Reggae Culture, and it is probably this that you have found so attractive, Inspiring and captivatingly good!

They enjoyed massive success in the 1970’s, and 1980’s and now are on top of their chosen profession in the 1990’s.

WHY ARE THEY CALLED ‘ROOTS AMBASSADORS’?

In 1987 Jah Youth Sound had a calling to Africa. As they headed for Kenya it would soon became evident they would have to fly in the whole Sound System and before long the were playing music in city halls from Kenya to Zimbabwe to Ghana.
Their success was such that they were named “Roots Ambassadors” a name that has stuck with them ever since.

In 1992 when they returned to the U.K. It was half of the sound system that came back. The other half was left with a group of native Kenyan youths called Jah Youth Crew, adopted by Jah Youth during their time there. They continued to maintain that root of reggae culture and preserve that works set up there.

>> DUB & ROOTS ARENA <<

THE MIGHTY JAH YOUTH (London: England)

... The Roots Ambassador 

>> DUB & BASS ARENA <<

MUNGO'S HI-FI (Glasgow: Scotland)

Hosted By BROTHER CULTURE

... Forward Thinking Reggae Music

> Caribbean Food & Merchandise Stalls <

TICKETS ONLINE at I-WANT-TICKETS: http://www.i-want-tickets.com/site/events_database_2.asp?catID=617

Super Saver Online Tickets: £5.00 +BF... SOLD OUT

Early Bird Online Tickets: £7.50 +BF... SOLD OUT

Standard Advance Tickets: £10.00 +BF

... More On The Door

TICKETS IN SHOPS...

Rockaboom - 18 Malcolm Arcade, Leicester LE1 5DF

Wellgosh - 34 High St, Leicester, LE1 5YN

Cartel's - 4 Loseby Lane, Leicester, LE1 5DR

Prettiez - 61b Queens Road, Leicester, LE2 1TT

TRANSPORT...

Coach - http://www.nationalexpress.com/

Train - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Train or Coach - http://uk.megabus.com/

Taxi - A&B Cabs - 0116 2 98 98 98

ACCOMMODATION...

Hotels - http://http://www.booking.com/

... All Roads Lead To Leicester.

THAT WHICH DOES NOT KILL US ONLY MAKES US STRONGER
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2015 at 9:00pm
i got my tickets Smile see you there
You can't polish a turd!
stitchy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stitchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2015 at 11:47am
copied from general section posted by cookiedj

Last night at Streetlife Leicester, Mungo's Hifi and Jah Youth had their own rooms with their full sound systems.

Mungo's consisted of 
8x 18" Superscoops
4x Void Stasys mid tops

Jah Youth consisted of
6x 18" Scoops
2x Double 15 scoops
4x Mid tops (not sure what design as they were grilled)
2x bullet boxes - 4 in each

Mungo's full Mogale setup was well thought out. The bass was very clean and the kick was less pronounced, a lot less then what i thought 4x HD215's could do. The Stasys tops were hit and miss for me. Sometimes they would sound very smooth and clean. At other times, there was no 'sizzle' and the hi hats in the music were very quiet. Im not sure it was they way the pre was set up, the quality of the records or the fact the lad behind the turntables doesn't use his own ears to hear how it sounds in the middle of the 2 stacks.
The music in Mungo's room didn't do it for me, and by the looks of it, didn't do it for many other people as they were all crammed into Jah Youth's room.

Walking in to the other room with Jah Youth playing. Straight away the 'sizzle' hits you and the old boy controlling the turntable and pre amp plays real hard. 
By midnight, Jah Youths room was packed out, he turned up the sub section on the pre and when it hit you, it hurt (in a good way of course!)
Tune selection, the 3 PA's on the mic and the sound quality is what kept the room busy over Mungo's.

SUMMARY

I went there especially to see Mungo play but was very disappointed. 
On sound quality alone, when Mungo played certain songs, it was the best. On other songs, it was very poor.
Jah Youth made the night for me, consistent with the right tune selection and knowing how to work a preamp properly.
The mrs said to me that "I've never heard bass like that before, it has given me a sore throat!"
They certainly did do damage, very very impressed.
I look forward to seeing them again.

Edited by stitchy - 01 February 2015 at 11:49am
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2015 at 12:39pm
can you describe what sizzle is?

If something sounded like it was sizzling to me I would check the levels haha
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2015 at 12:41pm
sizzle is a jamaican term for pronounced HF. hence arrays of millions of piezo's or bullet boxes in roots/dub sound systems Thumbs Up
You can't polish a turd!
goodgroove View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodgroove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2015 at 12:55pm
Having heard Mungos last year for the first time would fully agree with that audio desciption of the midtops.
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2015 at 5:22pm
Considering the price tag for the voids too

Edited by cookie-dj - 01 February 2015 at 5:23pm
You can't polish a turd!
Delasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2015 at 10:45am
Easy Cookie!!,
Yeah its just like the man said, When I reach and buck Cookie he said Jah Youths killing it but still I gave Mungos a listen, Cos it was dem I went to hear.

I heard them up in Manchester a while back and they were hot but this time they flop. The sound was just not right, I'm no expert but it just lacked punch and detail, kinda wooly TBH.

Jah Youth switched up their pre-amp and the people came running like Bees to Honey, the bass sound was like a fat round swelling ball of bass that pushed everyones button, accented with icicle fresh mids and sizzling tops that cut through everything. Security gave everyman and woman a bly on their intake of Herbal Roots medicine right there inna de dance which added to the old time vibe for me instead of hiding away like some kind of leper.

Selection was artikal and concious delivering a message to the yute dem.

All in all a good night and a Salute to the Jah Youth crew. Bless up

Delasy

Edited by Delasy - 02 February 2015 at 10:46am
One good thing about Music, when it hits you feel no pain...
 Post Reply Post Reply