Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Audio Grade" Capacitors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr1sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Audio Grade" Capacitors
    Posted: 16 January 2015 at 6:18pm
Anyone know where i can get wima and other audio grade capacitors for a good price?
I MAN SERVE SELASSIE CONTINUALLY... NO MATTER WHAT THE WEAK HEART SAY

fostonshfs.webs.com
kr1sounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr1sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2015 at 6:28pm
ConfusedOuch when i 1st tried to post this post it said something about a spam and how it didnt upload.. so i do it again that one posts and the one that said it was a spam

fostonshfs.webs.com
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2015 at 6:28pm
is there any difference in 'audio grade' capacitors apart from the label and the price?

far as i know, that was the difference.....

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
kr1sounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr1sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2015 at 6:35pm
yh, im looking at a website that sells em and they are a bit pricey. i'm wondering if the price is worth the audible difference if there is any

fostonshfs.webs.com
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2015 at 6:44pm
well surely as an electronic component, all it does is store a charge at a specified level, and discharge/recharge as required by the circuit. Other than that they aren't on the 'audio' side of the circuitry of said amp, so shouldn't logically affect the audio [long as they have the capacity the amplifier circuit requires/is specified with].

Audiophile poop

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
kr1sounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr1sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2015 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

Audiophile poop

LOL

fostonshfs.webs.com
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2015 at 5:56pm
Just use yellow MKP caps rated 250v or more. I haven't been able to hear a big difference between those and Jantzen Cross-Caps, but there's sure a big difference on the bill. As long as you aren't using electrolytics or weak 50/100v rated polyesters, you're golden. In fact, even if you do have to use an electrolytic, a small polyester in parallel sorts out 99% of the audible problems.

edit: the above applies to crossovers and signal-path caps. are you talking about main filter caps in an amplifier? if so, obviously electrolytics are fine. if you're replacing old ones, then you may be able to fit replacements with a higher voltage rating than the old, which would be considered an upgrade I think.

Edited by studio45 - 20 January 2015 at 6:01pm
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2015 at 7:20pm
http://www.hificollective.co.uk/ are a UK retailer of all sorts of audiophile stuff. I've used them a few times, no complaints.
 Post Reply Post Reply