Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Bass Pod' - a very compact budget bass bin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Bass Pod' - a very compact budget bass bin
    Posted: 09 February 2015 at 7:39pm
Right, so this is the first design I've shared here, it's still just 'in theory', not yet built and my practical experience of building is minimal so I'm half expecting this'll be shot down for some really obvious rookie error or other but anyhow :)

Simmed in hornresp as a tapped horn which I presume is correct for this type of enclosure.

If nobody can give me a very good reason why this will be a total waste of time I'll be building some (at least one) in the next couple of weeks and will report back in more detail. Even if the results are far from optimal it should still be worth it as the cost to build is like the cost of a pizza.

I have one of the drivers here and it seems like a total bargain for the price, and not too heavy at all considering it's huge ferrite magnet. Total cabinet weight could be around 2.5kg and just 10 litres external volume (7 litres internal). 

http://www.teamaudio.fr/en/faital-5fe100-4ohm.html

Issues I'm aware of: 
- Faital Pro may have wildly exaggerated the xmax figures on the driver
- The hornresp input data around the horn mouth has been significantly fudged as accurately simming a section with such a large obstacle is nearly impossible - ignoring the driver altogether in the simulations gives an even nicer result. The last section of the horn path seems to be the least critical to the end result as shown in almost every other tapped horn style design so it should at least be 'okay'

Edited by Hemisphere - 09 February 2015 at 7:52pm
altstadt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote altstadt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 9:09pm
I am so following this, keep us updated!
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 11:57pm
Hi Altstadt - I'll post any updates here or in the 12v forum. Probably both. Nobody suggested anything wildly miscalculated or impossible about it yet though anyway so that's a good sign.

Edited by Hemisphere - 10 February 2015 at 12:12am
 Post Reply Post Reply