Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Designing a V-baffle reflex in WinISD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2015 at 10:20pm
Only through Facebook, but we have some mutual friends locally.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
trev1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trev1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 6:56pm
i know this is an old post but i would really like to know if a v baffle design would have the same effect with 2 15" woofers?
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by trev1998 trev1998 wrote:

i know this is an old post but i would really like to know if a v baffle design would have the same effect with 2 15" woofers?

Yes but the exact frequency of the significant dip in output would happen lower, and the 15" will likely start to beam from that point too, making it a real problem to get much above 500-600Hz out with out a lot of fecking about.

Crossing to a big horn carrying a BMS 459x coaxial Mid/HF from 600Hz is feasible, but money and effort start biting you on the arse again.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

Yes but the exact frequency of the significant dip in output would happen lower, and the 15" will likely start to beam from that point too, making it a real problem to get much above 500-600Hz out with out a lot of fecking about.

Crossing to a big horn carrying a BMS 459x coaxial Mid/HF from 600Hz is feasible, but money and effort start biting you on the arse again.

Absolutely this.
The thing is, by that point, it's almost as well just biting the bullet and building the Peter Morris dual 12" horn loaded with the coax upppermid-high.
trev1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trev1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 6:09pm
thank for the input.let me give you details on what i am doing maybe you can help. so Im planing on building a V style Top box based on the Sample Audio KMT Lite (as seen bellow) but instead of 2x12" it would be 2x15" paired with a 8"/10"  a 2" CD .Compact is the word  that is why i opted for the v style design .What are the draw backs if any of this design and what key factors should i take into consideration ?

Sample Audio KMT Lite

My Prototype design 

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 6:36pm
In your example design the HF horn masks a lot of the upper region of the mid horn, and causes reflections back into the mouth also. You can make a HF driver and horn act as a phase plug, within limits, but it takes more than just making something that looks like one.

Frankly, if that’s your goal I would aim for a coaxial compression driver on a larger single horn. You’ll get better pattern control, more predictable response, and less IMD.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 8:43pm
Have you looked at the peter morris designs? 

You're in danger of spending a lot of time and effort designing something rather similar to but probably not as good as what's already available as a free plan.

I applaud your intent, but worth checking his pm90 and pm60 out before you go much further if you haven't already done so. 

I guess if you're looking at 15 inch drivers you want to use it as a stand alone box without subs or are crossing to something that can't get very high?
trev1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trev1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 11:53pm
thanks ,im going to give then a look

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12