Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me here...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr1sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me here...
    Posted: 18 April 2015 at 12:39pm
What makes a folded horn go low? Is it the chamber size? length of the horn? Been looking around on the internet and there's all different answers which there most probably are but none say exactly what makes them go low

cheers Smile
I MAN SERVE SELASSIE CONTINUALLY... NO MATTER WHAT THE WEAK HEART SAY

fostonshfs.webs.com
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2015 at 1:43pm
If you're getting multiple answers you're not reading the right theory! And probably listening to what people feel is right rather then the maths.

You've left off another important bit of theory which is expansion coefficient. I.e. exponential horn, conical horn, linear horn? All of these variables act together to get the final response and if you define 2 then the other becomes fixed. (Ignoring rear chamber, compression ratio, porting etc)

In simple terms: Horn length is the key to cut off, mouth area is key to getting a flat response down to the cut off. Expansion coefficient depends on how you define those.

https://www.grc.com/acoustics/an-introduction-to-horn-theory.pdf is probably the best article on the net in regards to covering the basics of horn theory I have found. Understand that and you are getting somewhere.

Edited by odc04r - 18 April 2015 at 1:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply