Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

kkk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tthorsten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kkk
    Posted: 17 November 2004 at 11:51am

kkk

Edited by tthorsten - 26 June 2012 at 8:25am
www.tb-audio.de

LEVELchek www.levelcheck.de
SPL tracking

SATlive www.satlive.audio
best Measurementsoftware for Live People

DBlimits
www.dblimits.com

Isemcon EMX7510 measurment Microphon

Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 7:28pm

Not got any measurement data saved, sorry.

As for SPL, I personally don't see any real reason to know what the SPL is.  It's either loud enough or its not, it either sounds good or it doesn't, anything else is just dick waving.

Personally I think they are loud enough.

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 7:32pm

I'd still like to know tho....

*waves dick enthusistically*#

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 7:34pm

Actually, what the calculated extension and increase in SPL when you have multiples?  Is it generally the same for all horns or is it specific depending on throat shape, etc.

e.g. will 2 HD15's go 3db louder and 5hz lower than 1?  How is this worked out?

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2004 at 3:08am
Well what seems to happen is that the spl is raised by +6db,even the lows ofcourse. Eventually with enough units,you maybe getting some lows that are a more useful level. I would imagine that 8would be loud enough indoors
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2004 at 11:24am

You will get 3dB increase by doubling the power. And 3 dB increase due to the summing of the lower frequencies. But only within the length of a quarter wavelenght

If the speakers in the cabs are for instance 0.5 mtr apart, the maximum frequency that will be maximal summed, is 343/0.5/4 = 171,5 Hz. Between 171,5 and 343 Hz there will be increase aswell as decrease depending on thewavelenght of the frequencies.

This is why a stack will give 6 dB per doubling of speakers, but doubling of the stacks will give only 3 dB increase (if placed around 3 mtr or more apart).

JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2004 at 12:51am
This rule only applies as long as the driver can push the air w/o problems. The Kappa for example has low BL and a 'not-that-stiff' cone and so it won't gain 3dB by coupling in bigger stacks if you double the number. Also, the bass range will get 'soft' instead of hard-hitting.... This is of course not a 'hard edge' process.... it's not that you have 4 and everything is fine and five will ruin every thing.... it gets worse by increasing numbers up to the point where further adding of horns won't gain anything (considered that the 'stand alone loading' of one HD15 is already high) but the size of the array (which will result in higher throw.....)
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2004 at 1:50am

Quote This rule only applies as long as the driver can push the air w/o problems. The Kappa for example has low BL and a 'not-that-stiff' cone and so it won't gain 3dB by coupling in bigger stacks if you double the number.
?? Can you explain that a bit more, I don't see the relation with not increasing SPL within a quarterwavelenght. I don't see what the stifness of the cone or the Bl for that matter has to do with it. And what do you call bigger stacks?

Btw. a Bl of 18,6 N/A isn't that low for a 15"

tthorsten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tthorsten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2004 at 2:22pm

kkkk

Edited by tthorsten - 26 June 2012 at 8:24am
www.tb-audio.de

LEVELchek www.levelcheck.de
SPL tracking

SATlive www.satlive.audio
best Measurementsoftware for Live People

DBlimits
www.dblimits.com

Isemcon EMX7510 measurment Microphon

Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2004 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by tthorsten tthorsten wrote:

could you just measure ..... 24 hd15s  

Of course, I'll just go load the van up now...

Back in a jiffy...

loophole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loophole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2004 at 6:47pm
hey dom, while you're at it, do you think you could finish some cabinets for me? i only need you to make me a few labhorns, but remember to only use flint tools, i have a real thing about traditional woodworking. maybe if you bought a couple of dancestacks along as well i could have a listen to decide what i prefer.
if you do a really nice job i'll let you do the door at one of our hackney parties - i'll even let you keep any weapons you confiscate, i promise!
 Post Reply Post Reply