Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MT-121 Not completly Satisfied - Mysteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 10:29am
You need to attenuate hf frequencies.. The lf driver is not your problem, if you can, use an active crossover. Send me a pm, maybe I can help you!
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by LeruSound LeruSound wrote:

I just found another one that gived me good results: 12NMB420 from 18sound.. I think i will go with them.

Don't do it! You can use what you already have. Several people have given you the same, good advice. If you follow it you will get good results.

I have measured a MT121 loaded with Fane 12". It had a big dip (=hole) between 600 - 1000 Hz that needs a lot of EQ.

The measurement of your MT121 looks very nice compared to that! The 12" plays well up to the crossover frequency. But as others pointed out, the 1" driver is playing too loud! That is your main problem! 

Like Marjan and others said, you should:

1) decrease the level of your 1" driver. (2 - 4 dB)
2) use delay to time align 12" and 1"

Easiest solution: Get rid of the passive crossover and use separate amplifiers for 12" and 1", use a DSP like behringer DCX for time and level alignment.

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2015 at 12:45pm
oh, and maybe you should read this:

Which specs should I look for in a driver for midrange horn use?

Edited by bob4 - 14 December 2015 at 12:46pm
LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2016 at 5:39pm
Thanks to each and every one, u all were so nice giving me your advices. Finally i made L-Pads with around 3.5 dB of att., and i'm good with them now, or at least better than before. I found the 1" driver not so bad in that combination. It gives a bright character to the sound, and make it enjoyable and exciting. 

Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

I have measured a MT121 loaded with Fane 12". It had a big dip (=hole) between 600 - 1000 Hz that needs a lot of EQ.

I heard about the same problem. Some ppl who wanted to made crossover on them from an audio shop, finally had the x-over around 700-800 hz cause it was not possible to rise over in that horn. So i'm pleased that this is not hardly happening on mine. 

But the same question: which driver u would use to load this project? 
http://hornplans.free.fr/pas5ma1.html
It is quite different from MT121, but i personally would choose that 12NMB420.

Edited by LeruSound - 04 January 2016 at 5:42pm
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2016 at 8:44am
Listen to bee .. Why people imagine that your gonna get a decent sound out of the mt 12" horn above roughly 1.2/1.3/1.4 is beyond me lol well tbf I went down the same road so can't really speak haha !

It is what it is !! High pass at 150hz and low pass at 1k tops IMO !!

Find a driver that will play flat down to around 1k for the top end !

No good trying to bump a load of eq in the crossover regions either !
The filters will mess around with the sound anyway , .... Getting drivers that meet each other properly is halve the battle on getting a good sounding speaker !!

18 sound 1464 is what I used ... Does the job nicely !

Also worth mentioning the 12" horn is a bit of a problem when you only have one a side, doesn't cut the mustard IMO ... For these speakers to shine , you need two either side !!!

Also you need dsp ... It is a must !!

Don't consider all of these points and they will never properly work !!!

Sound good on some tracks but not others hahaha!

They might sound ok to some people whilst not adhering to this advice but one day you will realise u wasted a lot of time and money !!

And you really do need an expensive quality 1.5" comp or a 2" with some bullets or 4592!!
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2016 at 9:39am
I think the results some get from MTs, really depends on drivers used, quantity of cabs, flattening eq.

But also think is pointless exercise, unless LMS is used.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234