Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2x10 for rcf l10750yk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2x10 for rcf l10750yk
    Posted: 01 January 2016 at 4:32pm
please help
i have 4 of these drivers and wanted to use them in a x10 type speaker although ive never deisgned a cabinet i thought it might be easy,bass box pro keeps changing my dims or saying its no big enough lol
can anybody sim me these and help with a design i have some bc me20 horns i was going to use
thanks neil
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2016 at 6:25pm
Don't try to use the simulation tools to design the cab for you, they usually try to achieve some highly impractical alignment.  Instead try drawing out what would be a sensible sized cab, enter the volume into the software then use it to select a suitable tuning frequency which gives the desired low end response.
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2016 at 9:01pm
thanks chris

so ive gone for a box 700m high x 305mm wide x 260mm deep  15mm ply

this gave me 41.85 lt cab

tuned to 70hz 
  because bb sugested 59hz which is below the drivers suggested range wich i thought was wierd

i wanted to put 2 oblong  vents at the sides of the horn but when i put in 2 retanglar it gave me a size of  43.63 x46.63mm which doesnt sound very big and no depth

am i doing somthing wrong?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2016 at 9:25pm
Dont expect to have any serious response below 200hz. Those 12s are more suited to a MT122 type of box then a reflex loaded one. 2.5mm xmax is way too small. I have seen those drivers with ripped voice coils from the cone used like that too often.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2016 at 10:20pm
my mate used to have some wt 10+1 boxes with these drivers in and they sounded very good, they only need to do 100-120hz upwards as they will be used with 15" subs
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2016 at 11:30pm
If you're crossing over well above (eg an octave higher) the port tuning, the actual frequency isn't too critical and port airflow velocity isn't too much of an issue either.

A good choice in this case would be to set the tuning frequency to that of the resonant frequency of the driver so that you're exactly matching the natural impedance peak of the driver.

Simplest design would be to choose the port area to make the 15mm baffle the port length, however it's not quite that simple.  The effective port length will actually be a bit longer and depends on the width of it.  Might require a little trial and error.

As Marjan has said, the response will start rolling off quite high so I'd be looking to cross over from the subs maybe up as far as 150Hz.

krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2016 at 12:12pm
i was going to use these with one of tonys q15 subs wich is next on the build list to make a super compact system, as an artist i dont expect them to be pushed hard and the rcf drivers and bms 4524 comps are very efficent so wont need alot of power for the sound level needed, maybe have to try and see what happens or rethink the project

thanks for the input

Edited by krazyneil - 02 January 2016 at 12:13pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2016 at 4:09pm
You will need about 3 Q15 subs to keep up with the top you plan on making. :-)
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2016 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

You will need about 3 Q15 subs to keep up with the top you plan on making. :-)
as an artist vocal clarity is one of my main targets and with a Q15 each side the tops wont need to be pushed too hard so maybe the relativley low xmax wont be a problem , TonyASS and plenty of other builders used to us BC amx250 drivers and they have a lower xmax of 2.4 so there must be a way to make this work
this is supposing the Q15 will play upto 150/160hz ok ?
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2016 at 7:05pm
Ive got a pair of q18's loaded with the recomended BMS drivers built by Bee im looking to shift. PM me if you want any photo's ect...
Steve20131 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve20131 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2016 at 4:40pm
Definitely don't use those for bass,  see what rcf recommend for tuning,  they're probably around the 80-90hz for mid 10".  If it's for vocal work surely just two drivers in stereo would be suitable??
 Post Reply Post Reply