Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cubo for live band?? Or Reflex??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirck50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cubo for live band?? Or Reflex??
    Posted: 08 January 2016 at 6:40pm
Well I didn't know where to put this request, but here it is. I do primarily live P.A. work in small to medium venues with a mix of outdoors and indoors. Nearly every venue I go to is different (mostly at peoples homes, schools, or Community centers)(Our culture of partying is different in Trinidad).
I just find that I am not happy with my subs. And I am in a quandry as to which direction to go for my subs. I use EAW SB850 boxes (locally built to the EAW specifications) right now, but I read that the speakers I use in them (RCFL18P300) will perform better in the CUBO 18 Extended. So I was thinking to build four 218 Cubos and load them with the 8 RCF's.
Space is kind of an issue hence I did not go the option of building 8 WSX, but the double cubos is not much bigger than the SB850's, hence my interest.

But I also read that hybrid boxes do not respond like reflex boxes do (for live P.A. work mainly). And in the past I did encounter issues (sub-wise) whilst trying to mix down a live band when I was using scoops. Using the scoops, the kick was poor, and the bass guitar sounded loose. The reflex boxes gave me better ability to tune the band, because I could now hear all the low end instruments clearer. But not as loud as how the scoops sounded.

So anyway, what I wanted to know are the following:
1) Are any of you guys using cubos for live mixes (acoustic instruments, etc.)? Compared them to any other subs?
2) Would you guys recommend me replacing the SB850's with Cubo 218'S?

Looking forward to your input and thanks in advance for your consideration.
Hello!!!
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2016 at 7:58pm
Go for something like G-sub or a good 18" reflex box. The RCF L18P300 will work well in reflex subs. In my opion, reflex sound very good for live bands etc. Cubo is more for when you do electronic music, like dj's. 
We need more SPL!
pdr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2016 at 9:22pm
A cubo with the right driver can sound nice, but it's quite a narrow band for live music, 35/40 to 100/110 ish so if your tops don't go low you need some kicks, more boxes to lug around, a well designed reflex will go high enough to meet your tops and in my oppinion sound much more natural for a live band.
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2016 at 9:31pm
I generally like reflex for live

Flat with no real resonant peaks makes for an easy low end mix, providing you have a strong low mid to carry the kick drum through. All sub and no punch is no fun

Edited by Grubbah - 09 January 2016 at 9:33pm
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2016 at 9:34pm
Spot on grubbah. That's why I like 15" bass reflex more than 18", but if you have good tops 18" subs will be good..
We need more SPL!
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2016 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Dutchman Dutchman wrote:

Spot on grubbah. That's why I like 15" bass reflex more than 18", but if you have good tops 18" subs will be good..

Aye. Its why I really like the MA H3/S218 system. 18" reflex (20 - 80). 15" horn (80 -200). Transient and fast bass / low mid to smooth articulate sub. Good combo.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2016 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Grubbah Grubbah wrote:

Originally posted by Dutchman Dutchman wrote:

Aye. Its why I really like the MA H3/S218 system. 18" reflex (20 - 80). 15" horn (80 -200). Transient and fast bass / low mid to smooth articulate sub. Good combo.

Some of the best sound I've ever heard has come from 4x S218's with four H3's on top, as you say, low, punchy and clear. However, I've also found the threshold between an H3 sounding gorgeous and an H3 sounding really horrible is very small.
sirck50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirck50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 1:35pm

I don't understand the recommendation to build g-subs. Wouldn't they sound just like the SB850? Since it is also a reflex box, just a trapezoidal shape.

Also I use EAW KF850 as tops for now, so I have a nice low mid, high mid and high frequency response. I just want to get more from my RCF L18P300 subs.
Hello!!!
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 2:13pm
Hey. I like the cubo for live bands, kixk drum sounds good with a decent clarity for bass guitar. They sound muddy past 100hz but i prefer bringing tops down as low as possible anyway, unless using 15" reflex subs. Looking at the specs sheet for your kf850 they should easily meet the cubos at 90/100 hz.

You could look at tapped horns as another option. Keystone sub and the th18 have great reviews. Though im not sure if they are suitable given your size constraints but certainly worth a look.

Also if you wanna look at a repositry of plans for more ideas wizardaudio.hu/hasznos.php is a great resource.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 4:42pm
kf850 is still one of my fav systems ever :)

I must admit I did like the SB1000's over the SB850's. Although I did get good results with my SB850's just had to stick some serious juice up their arse! I used to use PL9's.

Before writing the boxes off look at the amplifer. Have you got the right settings in the processor?

Jace
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
 Post Reply Post Reply