Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gear that substitutes a reggae preamp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 9:58am
What if someone made a 1U panel (or the width of a pioneer or A&H) that had 4 or 5 kill switches with level controls and an effects loop that took a stereo output from your generic mixer and then output four or five feeds that could then be fed to the external filter of choice (lms or whatever) wouldn't that be a good starting point? Who would be interested in one of those?

Edited by service dept Steve - 06 January 2020 at 9:59am
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 12:41pm
The thing is, a typical reggae preamp actually has several  crossovers, one for the music kills, and one afer that for the rest of the inputs, so that if you kill all but the bass, you don't cut the sirens, mics, echo returns, etc... 
So Steve, if I understand what you're saying, if you kill everything except the bass on you 1u thing, then the microphone will also be cut
So you would want to have
musical sources > mixer 1 > preamp thing with kills and fx sends >>  | Mixer 2 |
fx returns, mics, sirens, etc        >>  | Mixer 2 | >> LMS

With mixer 1 being the typical dj mixer (2xphono and 2xline inputs)
and mixer 2 a traditionnal mixer for mics and instruments. You can also use the mixer2 sends for FX instead of putting sends in the preamp box.
Preamp box could have only 1 master out with summed signal.
You can put a number of eq / filters in the preamp box to work the sound of the musical input without affecting the other inputs (mic, etc)

With this setup you can plug the master out of mixer 2 into any system (provided that there an already setup lms for that system) also the crossoer in the preamp box doesn't have to have the same number of ways than the system (for instance a simple weight'n'treble kills, outputing to a 5 way system)
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 2:02pm
Good points made there by JBK... 
Reverence Sound system

JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 2:46pm
Thanks dj jammin
As far as I know in some  (most?) preamps, there is actually 1 crossover for the music, and 1 (or as many as the other inputs) crossover for the inputs, the bands are mixed afterwards, but the crossovers got to be identical. it will be dificult / overkill trying to reproduce this with outboard gear. 
(If I'm not clear, imagine the music going in a 4 way crossover, and the inputs going in another 4 way crossover with the same topology, you mix the bands afterwards, music bass with inputs bass, music mids with input mids, etc)
About the setup mentionned in my previous message, one could argue that having 2 crossover one after the other (one in the "pre" and one in the lms) will mess up the final phase of the signal more than necessary, but this could be reduced by having less bands in the "pre" (to be able to play with the kills and volumes) than the lms (used solely for system setup)  it's up to each operator to know the topology of the preamp crossover : I know some like the old school "weight'n'treble" config, but having switched from 4 to 5 way on our pre, I'm glad having more control (not solely to tune the current track but also for "playing")

Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2020 at 3:18pm
I've been trying to figured out what stuff would i like on a "reggae" preamp never put it all on paper.
Best thing for me actually would be a kinda mixer hybrid thingy.
2 channel with rotary pots for music source,mic in 3-4 aux ins for effects with rotary pots for volume (ok everything would be rotary for the aesthetic)those channels would also need eq or atleast hp/lp.
3 way filter with sweepable frequency and band kills ala electrix eq killer,or  just one global hp/lp resonant  filter a&h xone style. Wouldn't use it as a crossover.somekind of subtle "vintage" distortion circuit at the end . I'm sure I forgot something , if i described anything that's a working all in one product let me know heh.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456